Esno VFX - Sketch and Workbook

Hello, my name is Esbjörn and I’m an aspiring VFX artist from Sweden. This thread is meant as a showcase of some of the work that I’ve done in the hope that I might be able to gain some valuable feedback on what I’ve produced, and maybe, just maybe, be able to inspire someone else.

To begin with let’s start with two effects I made earlier this year when I started to get back into things after taking a decently long break from making effects. I wanted a couple of easier projects just to refamiliarize myself with the Unity and VFX graph interface, so I went on YouTube to find a couple of interesting looking tutorials and this is what I ended up with.

And

(Hopefully these links work)

These effects are based on the YouTube tutorials “Unity VFX Graph - Stylized Orb - Effect Tutorial”, and “Unity Game Effects - Slash Attack Tutorial” by @GabrielAguiar, but with a couple of minor alterations/additions.

Nice to meet all of you.

2 Likes

One of the threads that first got me to this forum was @ShannonBerke’s thread about some of the effects she had worked on for League of Legends. It was really cool to see how some of the effects were done in a game I played a lot. I was especially interested in how they manipulated the UVs of the meshes in order to create interesting results. This post in specific, where she shows how she made Taric’s shield, has been stuck in my head since I first saw it as something I wanted to try and recreate. Which is what I did a couple of months back.

The mesh and UVs are made in Blender and the effect is constructed in Unity’s VFX Graph. It is all one VFX Graph which spawns 4 different types of particles, the crystal mesh, the background “halo”, and two types of “glitter”. The mesh uses a custom shader which allows me to scroll the “sheen” texture based on the lifetime of the particle mesh. The goal was to keep it really similar to the reference so I didn’t add or change much.

Looking back at my work a couple months later, as well as looking at Shannon’s original work, there are a couple of things that I’m unhappy about. I think my layout of the UVs could be a bit better. I tried to arrange them so that the “sheen” hits them from top to bottom, but I don’t think I really pulled it of. I think going for a side-to-side movement like Shannon did does work better. I also dislike how some of the faces really show the texture I’m using to create the sheen. Making the UV islands a bit smaller might help with that.

Even before revisiting this effect I was pretty unhappy with the “glimmer” I had created, but I couldn’t really pinpoint why. Comparing it to what Shannon did I think the textures I used for it are a bit too chunky and I think I also should’ve made the quads a bit smaller in order to justify adding more particles. Giving the particles some prismatic colors are also a great idea.

When I first completed the effect I was pretty happy with it, but reexamining the work some time later there are definitely some areas that could see some improvements. I started this post just to show off some of my work, but now I’m pretty tempted to boot up the effect and touch it up a bit. We’ll see.