ErbGameArt: Sketch #25 Dot

Hi, it may sound strange, but I looked at the honey and thought: why not make the effect associated with it?:smile:

Honey dot
#6 Final result:

Update #5 (More clear)

Update #4 (Slower)

Update #3 (Hexagons)

Update #2

Update #1

Now I understand that it was gold, not honey. Correct feedback (on this case on Twitter) is always helpful

16 Likes

First I found reference from one anime:
Second reference from Kingdom Hearts 3:

Fast sketch:

1 Like

I made a simple sphere for honey

And drew a simple texture
Then I took my multipurpose double-sided dissolve shader, which I use in my assets. I also use noise for dissolve from my texture library.

So I get this:

1 Like

I will use ordinary particles to spread honey. For this, I cut off the texture of honey and made an inner glow.

1 Like

I can also use the same model as for falling honey to make splash

1 Like

So I made it

https://youtu.be/YUUykmz0b3w

3 Likes

Cool! But I think the light / glow coming out of the character + the star shaped sparks are giving it a Heal Status look instead of a DoT Status one.

This is hot honey, contact with which deals damage for enemies and heal friendly heroes :grin:

1 Like

It reminds me more of gold than honey. Think there might be a way to make them look less solid and more liquidy? Meta balls maybe? (This is something super difficult to do in real time but may be a fun challenge. Ha ha.)

Hmm, I will try to make it more liquid.

1 Like

Update

Oh, I have one idea…

2 Likes

Today I didn’t have time to work. So it just small update #3

2 Likes

:honeybee: Bzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzz :honeybee:

1 Like

I slowed the animation because it was to liquid.

3 Likes

Feeling great about this, but it might be a bit overkill to stack everything together like that.

Would be cool to see if separating those elements gives a bit of air to the overall composition and helps guiding the eye.

Maybe I’d suggest creating a honey pond under the character from which those hexagons are coming out!

1 Like

Thanks for suggestion. I think so too :grinning:

1 Like

Looks really nice! Are you using only Additive and Alpha blending or something more complex for transparency?

I use Additive, Alpha blending and Cutout shader without transparency.

I made it more clear

4 Likes

Oh hello o.o

Still new to this place but maybe the fact theres no wind up or initial hit on the player, maybe adding that would help?
Also when you added the hexagons that helped me visual honey more. Maybe its a few hexagons combined on the texture to be more honey comb.

Also is this a Dot that heals? If so usually HoTs arent so fast usually slower to give the feeling of soothing I think. Maybe it moving so fast makes it se more violent?

Hope this helps, very interesting effect good luck :slight_smile: