Environmental Fire VFX | Looking for Feedback

RTVFX_Fire_Thumbnail

:fire: Hey hey :fire: I recently finished this piece and would love to get some feedback on it. The fire, smoke and flag falling/flapping animations are simulated in Houdini.

2 Likes

The little fires look good and the smoke is nice.

The larger fire behind the statue is a bit fast.

The puff of embers that comes up after the flag falls is a nice touch, but it look slike the timing is a bit off and possibly the position.

Looks like you offset the embers to fire higher and also they’re a bit “right” of where the thing falls.

I’d locate those to the actual flag.

I believe that will help to relate the embers and the flag falling a bit better. Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

Looks too fast. Even ittle flames more calm here.
You can try to make longer sequence with slower and and less linear flow, but with the same 64 frames (by skipping every second or more frames). And also use frameblending and flowmaps to compensate this.
You can find some nice refs at actionvfx.

However whole scene looks nice :3 like hot picture “breathing”, almost no fully static zones that my eye can see.

Interesting, I used flowmaps to make some of the motions slower, but it didn’t occur to me that I can use the flowmaps to compensate for some skipped frames. Thank you for the idea!

1 Like