Emilio Villar : Embergen Challenge

ezgif.com-optimize(4)

Well, here is my submission. This was a fun and interesting challenge, too bad there was not much Unity3D users into the challenge and not much feedback received neither, but there are great jaw dropping entries out there.

Embergen definitely will be between my software list from now, is a very and versatile tool, very fast to setup simulations scene, creating previz, flipbooks and statics textures. Thanks for the opportunity to test the software.

About the project, I have added an starship to give some action into the scene (The starship model is from the Unity3D asset store (Luminaris Starship | 3D | Unity Asset Store) and some music from The Dig Lucasfilm videogame (The Dig (video game) - Wikipedia).

See you in the next sketch - challenge !

PS. Feel free to ask if you see something interesting in this thread, I will try to do my best to explain what and How I did it.

6 Likes

Phew! Time flies! Time to update my entry.

So lets started: I will be working in Unity3D 2019.4. My idea is recreate a Space Bombardment or aka Kinetic Orbital Strike, the scene will be a small planet somewhere in the galaxy with some outpost or cities (Maybe outposts, is the easiest and cheaper to do with my lack of time).

I has been searching for references, from Star Wars movies to Terminator movies; there a lot of references out there but I will posting only the similar style I been looking for to apply in the entry.

I have elaborated a small story board about what I have in mind, nothing fancy, but is perfect to get the main idea.

2 Likes

I have done this first approach setting up the scene with all the assets and with some other elements in mind for future interaction with the bombardment.

This is not final, but I will try to follow my first idea.

KOS-WIP_01

Some update:

I have been using Embergen today, at the first scenes I did too much try and error (even reading the manual) but is easy to use the software. Some points “nice to have” or “wish list” from my pov:

1. Remove the autoplay simulation when I create/open an scene.
  2. Detachable windows, that will be awesome has that feature.
  3. Lock Camera from the viewport (an icon could be nice).

There were others points but I don’t remind em right now… I should took notes.

Anyway, about the progress, I am setting each simulation separately (mushroom, shock wave, smoke, etc) so I can get more control over the times inside the engine.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif(4)

ezgif.com-video-to-gif(5)

ezgif.com-gif-maker

This was a first try – discarded.

Doing some progress…

4 Likes

Small update.

1 Like

Major update

I’ve been working on the project this latest days , but posting nothing here.

° Added nuke rockets hitting the multiple target

ezgif.com-video-to-gif(6)

° Fixed the time between the hits and the detonation.

° Amplified the impact effect so can feel the heavy explosion.

° Added new flipbooks from Embergen, to give some action in the main explosion.

° Added additional effects to reinforce the Bombardment effect, including programing some shaders.

° Corrected the color palette and the illumination in the scene, applied a blue palette to give a quite feeling before the bombardment.

° Added camera animation, so give some flow to the animation bombardment.

° Applied post effect (Bloom, Vignette, etc) this look more like a cinematic now and I love it.

° From Embergen actually using 5 flipbooks, 2048 x 3 and 1024 x 2; everything else are textures and shaders. I am in love with Embergen, with some days practicing I can achieve awesome simulation with a few clicks and values, very helpfull (still hating the autoplay simulation at the start of each project, my pc is old and the autoplay is really annoying in heavy simulation scenes.)

° The next step are clean the project, some minors tweaks and submit the video…

3 Likes

Well, here is my submission. This was a fun and interesting challenge, too bad there was not much Unity3D users into the challenge and not much feedback received neither, but there are great jaw dropping entries out there.

Embergen definitely will be between my software list from now, is a very and versatile tool, very fast to setup simulations scene, creating previz, flipbooks and statics textures. Thanks for the opportunity to test the software.

About the project, I have added an starship to give some action into the scene (The starship model is from the Unity3D asset store (Luminaris Starship | 3D | Unity Asset Store) and some music from The Dig Lucasfilm videogame (The Dig (video game) - Wikipedia).

See you in the next sketch - challenge !

PS. Feel free to ask if you see something interesting in this thread, I will try to do my best to explain what and How I did it.

3 Likes

This is really great- I think the speed of the missiles incoming is the only bit that feels off (but forgivable with the clip length); the explosions on the rough surface are brilliant.

I would also love to see some more discussions or tutorials on the EmberGen to Unity workflow. Seems like there’s some real potential to pull in more people with some basic introductions. (Basic flipbook through to a “standard” 6 point lighting shader setup ready for modification)

Here’s a quick reminder that this Challenge closes this evening! Don’t forget to submit your final video to JangaFX using this Form if you’ve yet!

For the full rules and instructions, visit our original post here: