Designing VFX for video games

Hello everyone, I wanted to discuss something I’m very much struggling with: Designing VFXs.

While I feel I’m making steady progress on the technical side of VFXs creation over my years working on it, I still struggle to design said VFX especially, when having to make something from scratch, or for training purposes.

How do you guys handle this problem ? What makes you come with decisions on the design process ?
Whether it’s the theme, the gameplay aspect or the way the VFX should render and “act”, I’d like to know your approach on these things.

Have a great day everyone !

1 Like

Yeah so I just tend to look for a huge amount of references before creating something, then taking some elements from one ref, some from another and mashing them together until I get something I can begin iterating upon :new_moon_with_face:

Sometimes I even get inspired from looking at color palettes! https://color.adobe.com/es/explore

3 Likes

Oh nice thanks for the link, some good color ref :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I suggest you reading this article, it is full of content and tips to make game VFX, like balance, colors, shapes etc

2 Likes