Custom mesh trail in Unity

Thanks for your help.
I managed to get more or less suitable version of the trail using Unity’s trail renderer. I hope that in the near future we will see an improved trail system inside the VFX Graph.

1 Like

My game engine doesnt support trails let alone meshes like this. We only have acces to functions from the api to manipuate vertices and uvs, nothing built in the engine for this. So how would i code something like a dynamic mesh that flows in a trail like manner?

Hello!
I’m not sure what you’re asking exactly. It seems the engine you’re using has limitations, I’m just not sure what they are. If you want to code something like this you need to be able to create dynamic mesh from code somehow.

There are gifs in the original post explaining the general idea during development, I started off with points in space, in order in an array, and then generated two vertices at each point and then triangles between the vertices.
You’d need to start off building kind of like a simple particle system, at least that’s what I did, so that each point has its own lifetime, velocity and so on. Once you have that you can make the points interact with each other in any way you want.