Aran Anderson: Sketch #37 Cute

Final version:
cute_final

Original post:
The last time I did something toon styled was about 3 years+ ago, so thought I’d join in and make something completely different for once “cute”… my girlfriend has been watching alot of anime lately, and I came across some bright, colourful, “cute” styled animated backgrounds for the characters (Himouto! Umaru-chan, YuruYuri, Lucky Star…).

Found an anime character model online (Credit: SEGA, Miracle Girls Festival, PlayStation Vita), started re-texturing it, began rigging, and painting weights for it in Blender.

character rigged

Notice me senpai! uwu~

3 Likes

Started making a cell shading / toon post processing material. Created some hearts & triangles, added them into a UE4 Niagara system. The triangles have a pivot offset with a random initial mesh orientation around the character and scaling on the XYZ to create the effect that they’re shooting off.
Untitled-1

Did a quick little animation of the character. Started texturing the hearts, and added a rotating glow.
Untitled-2

2 Likes

Added some sparkles…
Untitled-3

Added some infinite background hearts plugged into a linear gradient that’s driven by the particle life time.
Untitled-5

2 Likes

Here’s the final version.
cute_final

High Quality video:

2 Likes

Here’s a breakdown of some of the elements… all rather simple stuff.

Background glow spin:

Big heart gradient:

Hearts flipbook:

Sparkles flipbook: