Any courses or tips for an artist begining in VFX for video games?

Hello,

I’m a 3D animation student and I will be graduating soon ! In 3 years in University, I never had a VFX class for video games. Passionate, I’m currently learning by myself. I bought an amazing tutorial on Udemy by Gabriel Aguiar to learn some FX in Unity.

I want to find an internship this summer and I wanted to ask you guys if you knew some intensive online classes that I can follow to learn how to do VFX on Unity and/or Unreal.

I found a lot of very cool tuto of CGHOW in Youtube, but he never begin his tutos from scratch so it’s very hard for me because I’m a beginner.

An intensive course of one to 3 months will be perfect in English or French.

For those who mostly learned by themselves, where did you start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and a happy new year to all of you !

1 Like

:wink: https://www.youtube.com/HovlStudio

2 Likes

Oh ! That’s amazing. Thanks a lot, it’s very appreciated :smiley: But it will be better to have something in english or french to understand what i’m doing !

You can use subtitles, I make them myself :wink:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oh nice ! I will check :smiley: Thanks a lot to do great tutos like that.

And I want to say 1 thing. Start with simple tutorials like “how to use vfx graph”, “how to use particle system”, “colors”, etc… https://www.youtube.com/user/jasonkeyser
First try yourself and watch videos only if you don’t know something.
Because the most important thing for VFX artist is creative thinking. If you have seen a bunch of training videos, then you will gain experience, but this will negatively affect your imagination, for the most part from the appearance of stereotypes in design.

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice !!

I mostly look at tutorials to learn how to do the effects and then I try to do them by myself and modify them to get different effects. I just need to learn the basics in Unity and Unreal for shader and fx creation so I can create my own eventually.
For the moment i did 2 things: an energy body in Unreal and some sparks in Unity.
The goal is to get enough general knowloedge to obtain an FX intership.
I’m very pasionate and curious so I will do my best !