Andreas Glad: Sketch #3 WIP

Cheers, nope, not yet. I’ll experiment with it next time I get time to play with this. It’s all defaults so far.

Closing in on final now. Mostly because I’m out of time to work on this.
In this update I balanced the glow intensities, added some internal swirling to the firebreath, tweaked the heathaze and reworked the fire on the ground.

https://vimeo.com/200790957

7 Likes

Thats quite cool stuff mate, The effect is from Houdini?

The main smoke texture, distortion normals, and meshes are from houdini. The rest of the textures are film/photo sourced or shadermathemagics.

All actual effects work was however made in Unreal. I didn’t use any of the stuff from the early fluid sim tests in the thread.

1 Like

What i really like is the blue glow, right before the main fire breath goes wild. Gives a whole new feeling to the fire and makes it look way hotter’.
The flames after the initial fire burst are too fast and jaggy/flickering imo. I would slow them down a little and make them feel smoother somehow.
The overall feel is great!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Would you mind grabbing a screenshot of the part you think is jaggy? I’ve stared at it for too long so I don’t know what’s what anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, when trying to pinpoint it down, the longer i stared the harder it was to fix what actually bothers me. I think it’s the movement of the flames, they just look a little too harsh and not smooth enough. I might be wrong though, maybe someone else can give some feedback. The flames i mean start at 00:09.

Ah! The ground fire! Yeah, I agree. The source material for those is a bit to flickery, but I don’t have time to sim out smooth ones. Might be able to motionvector them or uvdistort them a bit to reduce it. I see what you mean though!

Well, I’ve reached the state where everytime I sit down to work on this, I just move properties back and forth. I’ve tweaked the colors again and tried to smooth out the groundfires. It’s not much time left of the challenge, and I really have no more time to spend on it so I’m going to call this one final!

Clarification: Yes, I’ve edited it in premiere to add sounds and titles. All game footage is however untouched,straight capture from unreal.

12 Likes

Even better with sound and all. Am I observing it right, Is it a flipbook techique used in there?

Yep, The main flame is a flipbook with shaderstuff on top.

2 Likes

Miss Piggy’s ghost is mean.

1 Like

I’m thinking about doing a breakdown of the effect. Just gauging interest. Anyone want to see behind the curtain?

5 Likes

I’d love to see your flipbook and shader setup for the flames that fly at the camera. Looks so cool!

A breakdown would be awesome! Great work! You really went …ham on the presentation here

Yeah that’d be cool and interesting to see

I’m currently slammed, so I might not have time to do it before the challenge is up but I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like