ZenoFi: Sketch #18 Hologram

Final Update:

Original Post:
Hello everyone! I’ve been around for a little bit now (quietly :sweat_smile:), so I thought it was time for me to join in the sketch fun. I thought I’d make a glitchy style hologram. Here’s what I have so far:

Right now I’ve just done some material work, but I’m planning to add some supplementary particle effects later. I’ll post updates or variations as I make progress. :smiley:

5 Likes

This looks like a really fun endeavor. I can’t wait to see how it takes shape over time!
Some neat challenges for holograms in general (in case you are interested):

• Remove internal mesh faces from rendering pass
  • Build a function that allows you to isolate a specific part of the mesh
  • Build an activation / deactivation stage
  • Build proximity functions (when you get to a specific distance, some behavioral change is experienced)
  • Build interactivity function states (when interacted with, parts are isolated, analyzed, animation plays, etc.)
1 Like

Im guessing that’s unreal because of the mannequin, so for the first part removing the internal mesh faces you’ll want to:

Inside the material enable “Allow Custom depth writes”
Then on the mesh options on the right side when you select it in the world you’ll also want to enable “Render CustomDepth Pass”

Then in the material graph you’ll want to plug in something like this

I found this technique from one of Tom Looman’s posts:

4 Likes

Woops meant to reply to ZenoFi :smiley:

Thanks @jbaldwin! Those are definitely some great ideas that I’ll work on implementing. :slightly_smiling_face:

And thank you @Kanoba for the help with removing the internal mesh faces. I’ll work on that this week for sure.

Alright, Here’s what it’s looking like now:

Main changes made:
-No more rendering internal faces (huge thanks to @Kanoba and the linked tutorial by Tom Looman for that)
-Lines are scaled in screen space and not local space, helping it look better at a distance.
-Added activation and deactivation stages
-Added some vertex offset fun

Next things I’m planning to do:
-Add some particles to spice it up (emission rays, maybe some sparky bits, etc.)
-Add zooming and panning functions
-Build some variations

7 Likes

Awesome update :grinning:
You may have already thought about this and are incorporating it into your | variation | pass, but its worth mentioning. The scan lines seem very bold on the ambient state. Perhaps making them thinner and less opaque in the primary space of the object. You could then add a secondary micro detail for elegant complexity.

One of the things I do to gauge a successful hologram effect is to stare at it for 30-60 seconds. If my eyes are still fairly relaxed at the end, it is successful. If my eyes begin to feel strain, I try to make adjustments.

Can’t wait to see your progress.

1 Like

ha! I was going to paste the Tom Looman link! Good thing i scrolled down first! :slight_smile:
Epic hired him!

Final Update! Since it’s the end of the month. Didn’t quite get everything I wanted, but that’s how it goes, right? Anyway, I added particles to it and then I built out a few variations. Everything shown is the same material (even the particles); All the variation is done through material instances. Up first is the classic look:

Then I made a corrupted hologram look:

After that I built a prime condition hologram (apologies for the GIF quality, particularly on this one):

Lastly, I did one on a fluid sim geometry cache, since the material doesn’t need any UV mapping to work.

Anyway, it’s been fun making this! Hope you all like it.

7 Likes

Great job on these. The second one (orange version) is definitely my favorite.