WyattLuke: Sketch #21

This months sketch seems interesting so I figured I would jump in to the best of my ability. My plan so far is to create a mundane sword that unfolds/evolves into a high fantasy great sword. I’m drawing a little inspiration from the effect used with the Chronus Lux great sword from Final Fantasy XIV.

Here is a video I found showcasing the effect:

Having taken a good look at the effect I feel like it shouldn’t be too hard to pull off. It certainly has many layers, so it should be fun to try and recreate.

Hoping to update this with progresses as I keep working on it

1 Like

Managed to get the basic transform/unfold effect working with morph targets. Though I’m not quite sure how to make the seams blend together. I figure I just need to take the normals from when it is folded up, but I’m really not sure how to do that.

After figuring this out I just need to work on the main body of the partical and shader work, and I’ve at least got an idea how to do that, I think.

1 Like

Spent some time trying to remake the aura effect on the sword. I also made the material of the sword more simple in an attempt to make the seams not so obvious (though they are still clearly visible).

I’ll see what I can add over the next week

2 Likes

Improved a thing or two with the aura effect and added some particles, also made sure it was more presentable.

I’m kinda happy with how the particles turned out. Here are the material and Niagara graphs if anyone has any interest at all.