What school did you go to!?

Fine Arts at UFMG, Brazil. Did my specialization in animation but it was mostly 2d Disney-style back in the day, the courses are very different now. So everything that has to do with videogames I’ve learned on the side by myself.
I’m not a big fan of schools and their structure but it did have some value after all, and federal universities in Brazil costs $0, that’s the only way I could afford a degree really

2 Likes

Going to Full Sail university, Florida right now. Majoring in game art. They don’t have a FX course specifically for games. Only the basic character / environment modeling, texturing stuffs for game art. So I’ve been trying to learn particle FX by myself. Its a really expensive school, but luckily I got a bunch of scholarships that made it affordable for me. They’ve got some really talented people from the industry as professors and they’ve worked on some awesome projects movies and games alike. Even @Keith the admin of our website is a Hall of Fame member grad from Full Sail. I’m lucky to go to such a great school and be a part of this great website with you all where I can learn more everyday!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @veer! I’ll be back at FS this coming february - let’s try and catch up while I’m there!

I also attended Full Sail - much to my chagrin, they don’t have a dedicated realtime vfx course. It’s a debate I have at least once a year with them :wink:

1 Like

Ex’pression College for Digital Arts, Emeryville. I think we had one or two days of VFX instruction, and just a primer on materials, enough to make a basic character or prop. They had a lot of emphasis on environment and character art, and had courses dedicated to modelling, texturing, animation, and rigging. I got interested in VFX via my own fascination with the material editor in UDK.

1 Like

Awesome! I couldn’t make it for hall of fame last time but will be awesome to catch up with you in February!
And that’s pretty sad because they even took out the regular FX course that they used to have not real time but was Visual effects 1 and 2. Which included bunch of particle stuff, rigid and soft body stuff, fluid, flames etc. There wasn’t enough demand for it I guess. When you get to see the grad demo reel show case I’ve just seen 1 or 2 FX reels out of like 30++ reels. While it sucks that I don’t get to learn it from school, it also puts me at an slight advantage that I get to be unique field from the others graduating. :upside_down:

Hey Keith, We’re actively working on this at Ringling College and welcome your feedback and participation!

1 Like

@RyanB Which courses did you take at VFS? Do you have any opinions on the Game Programming course?

1. Engineering Physics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (2 years…didn’t finish)
  2. Interactive Design & Game Development at Savannah College of Art and Design

Primarily a general education, I’m always trying to push for an effects/tech art track for games there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Structural Engineering and Architecture Masters Degree from Sheffield University.

12 Week VIdeo Game Art Production from Escape Studios (no VFX when i did the course but they do now because i teach it :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

There are many special effects training courses in China, will teach you a few effects. For example:http://bbs.cgwell.com/
This site has a number of paid online courses to learn, but also some of the members of their own recorded video teaching some tips.
But still need to study hard:slight_smile::slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went to VFS almost 20 years ago so my opinion is irrelevant now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Southern New Hampshire University with a BA in Game Design & Development.

They had the classic classes when I was there. Creature design, character design, environment, basic animation. No VFX. It has changed a lot since I graduated, though, all for the better.

I’ve been talking with the director of the program a lot and he is really interested in putting in a VFX class or two but needs a curriculum; which is what I have been looking at the other thread about courses on here for some good ideas.

1 Like

I went to Digital Arts & Entertainment, Howest in Belgium.

We did have one cource on vfx but it was very basic.
I would recommend DAE to anyone wanting to become game designer or programmer though.

1 Like