VFX for VR. What's still working and what does not?

No sure if it helps but at the unity forums there’s a whole area only about VR: https://forum.unity3d.com/forums/virtual-reality.80/

1 Like

Hello guys!
Saw thread quite in the begging and just for now collect an information to share. Cs we have native engine, its not about technical details, more like general information what works in VR and what not in my opinion during the production.

feel free for any questions, will try to answer.

5 Likes

great read, thanks for sharing, especially the conclusion in the end is so true.

yo-yo! this is great. thx for the share.

Zak Parrish

talks about what works and what doesn’t in VR at this stage, however, we all have to realize that this is an uncharted territory. We are still exploring it, no one has the right formula down. I would strongly recommend, looking into the VR demos such as the Fun House, Bullet Train and others from the Unreal Market place. Also, download the SDKs from Nvidia. Try stuff out yourselves and see what is actually working for you or your project. I know it’s a bit limited but you can do so much even with those limitations.
Those are my two cents.
Happy VFX VR creation.

2 Likes

Do you think this would be possible in Unreal? Not sure if you can manipulate the zclip/depth within the engine?

Don’t see why not. You don’t need to alter the depth. Simplified you just multiply it with your depthmask to “fake” the depth of the pixel on your quad.