Unreal4 learning so far

Hey everyone, i started learning unreal a bit over a year ago, almost 2 years now! and man i have a ton to learn still, so much to dive into! so many techniques and material/shaders to learn…
here is a few things i have been working on:

i have been working a bit on flip books too, trying to combine them with unreal madness, sometimes it works out, sometimes… it is too messy haha:

the real time vfx discord had been a real awesome place to level up and ask so many questions!
and i am sure there is going to be a ton more, once i start learning niagara…!

48 Likes

Wow, these are really cool! The wispy gaseousness of the first one is amazing—are you using ribbons or animated sprite materials or what?

1 Like

kinda cheating, but it is really just a texture scrolling on geo haha
the mesh is a bit heavy, but it holds up the UVs nicely

27 Likes
  • Might want to have a look at texture tiling in your portal, I can spot a seam :smiley:
  • In your lightning you have some textures showing below the impact point, that makes it kinda difficult to read where the impact is.

Overall lovely work though, I like what you did with the colours in the lightning one.

2 Likes

oh yeah, i looked for that seam and i could never find it lol, it is one of the geos for sure, but once isolate it it doesn’t show up… haha
the lighting i should have used a ground layer so it doesn’t go throw the impact point, that is just me being lazy for sure.

Did you make the texture with the good old Flame Painter? I nearly forgot that nice tool. Making these tileable can be painful :slight_smile:

it was a combo platter to be honest, i started in flame painter, but it always gave me some odd shapes, so i painted out the bits i didn’t like, and added a nice clean photo found of smoke. Painted out any seems extra noise i didn’t want. It was a lot of smudge brushing. haha

what the hell !!! I almost “spilled my beans” looking at the way you did this.
It’s Brilliant !! the result is so nice and flowy. very well cheated! good job

1 Like

What would you recommend doing to achieve this effect without a seam? Sorry if the answer is obvious :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Makeing your texture tileable would do the trick :smiley:
Ah, also make sure of course that uv scaleing is a multiple of one, otherwise the tiling doesn’t really help;

1 Like

Really good job, looks awesome!

Thanks! I’ll be sure to experiment :slight_smile:

learning a bit more of materials, and using more material instances to make this flame effect.
i did follow a bit the cghow tutorial on how setup the eataway/fade away

here is the material break down for it:

10 Likes

for fun/practice i made a spirit bomb vfx. Trying to copy the style of DBZ, been watching those dragon ball FighterZ videos for ref, such a good looking game!

1 Like

What is the Realtime VFX discord chanel called? I cant find a way to enter it. I’m also new to VFX and want to level up my game in UE4.

1 Like