[UE] Rainbow Galaxy Shard

galaxyshard

I doodled up a fun little shader.
It started out with just some (fake) iridescence, then I added some (fake) pearlescence, and decided it needed some stars, moving meteoroids, a tiny galaxy, and a few more tiny tweaks.
I also recorded a video about it, consider it a showcase/break-down thing.

I didn’t care much for optimization and just kept adding things I thought would enhance it, sometimes painting without a goal can be really relaxing and satisfying :slight_smile:

Update:

Special thanks to Jan Kaluza for his Object-Stabilized Screen-Space UV setup: https://twitter.com/jkashaar/status/1047979071609757702
And
Christian Sparks for a neat Sparkly sand material setup: https://www.napbound.com/post/ue4-journey-inspired-sparkly-sand
(I butchered both)!

16 Likes

hey hey @Keith I think I asked this before, but with my tiny peanut brain I forgot how but…
Why cant I get the image to show up on the main page?

Oooff, sorry for the slow response here man!

Here’s the short answer:
The Topic Thumbnail option is currently only able to pull from images directly embedded in your post, not hosted elsewhere. It looks like all of your gifs are a bit too large for us to host though, so I’ve just made a fast trim of yours:

gif_01

With that image now, we should be able to go to Select Thumbnail:

And select it for use.

Longer Answer
Our old topic thumbnail plugin was half custom built, and half supported by Discourse. Over the past… 2 years, the programmer we were working with decided to better integrate it into the Discourse codebase for general use (as opposed to our site). What we have now is a much better integrated tool behind the scenes, but we lost a fair amount of controls that I haven’t been able to get to the bottom of - the most important being why we cannot pull our cover thumbnails from Youtube or Vimeo links anymore.

Thanks for the swift kick on this - I’m going to go stir up this conversation again and see if we can make any progress.

3 Likes

ooh, thanks for that Keith!
I’ll be sure to upload smaller .gif’s for preview’s sake from now o :slight_smile:

Good luck with the progress! hug