Tutorial: Vertex Animation Texture Paintsplat

It might be a bit late for the Gore contestants, but I finally finished the Vertex Animation Texture tutorial where I show how to create paintsplashes using Houdini and Unreal engine. I also show how to use the Simplebaker to create decal textures to go with it. We start with an empty Houdini scene and end with a paintlaunching weapon in Unreal. Blueprints and all.
It’s a big one so if you are short on time and only want to check out specific parts of the workflow, you can follow these timecodes:

00:00 Creating a flipsplash
14:18 Rendering the Vertex Animation Texture
17:10 Building the VAT material
23:45 Making the material work with particles
26:25 Finishing the particle system
31:30 Setting up the projectile blueprint
33:20 Creating the decal textures
36:30 Baking the textures
39:14 Building the decal material
42:00 Finishing the projectile

I hope you enjoy it!

51 Likes

Coooool. Great work Andreas.

1 Like

Thanks man, awesome as usual.

Favorite line:

“Let’s make it look shiny and delicious looking.”

Suddenly gets serious

“Don’t eat paint.”

1 Like

Woahh amazing! Thanks as always. Love those goopsplosions!

1 Like

great stuff, maybe you have thought about it already, but I am sure it will be useful for your viewers to actually see which buttons you have pressed and where the mouse is currently at.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-visually-show-key-strokes-and-mouse-clicks-in-windows/

http://www.markuswelz.de/software/index.html

Let me know what you think and let the videos keep flowing :man_scientist:

1 Like

I have learned so much from you. You’re a true inspiration. Thank you.

1 Like

I did experiment with it as the functionality is also built in to camtasia. I decided against it though as it adds a lot of noise and clutter to the tutorial. I opted to go with a high enough resolution and clear narration so most people can follow along anyway.

3 Likes

This is great, thank you. Curious if anyone knows how they’re unpacking the normal from the alpha map.

@luiz wrote it so he could give you a good answer, but as far as I know it’s based of this:
http://aras-p.info/texts/CompactNormalStorage.html

1 Like

Yeah that’s one of the sources. But the general idea is that I reconstruct the z from the XY with Method 4 from that link. And then I do some more encoding to get the 2 floats into a single float.

General idea is “above middle gray is one thing, below is another”. You get obvious compression artifacts but for a lot of the quick moving effects it’s not super noticeable.

1 Like

Perfect, I appreciate it. The texture size is a tough sell (dang 32 bit support)…but there’s no denying this looks terrific.

Great stuff! Thank you!

Learning here and curious how you are previewing each stack in the view-port? On my side, I can only see the look of my Parameter adjustments like Mountain Height when I click out of the stack.

I hope that makes sense.

I’m not sure I follow. Is the UI not working?

1 Like

I think I just have a setting somewhere on by default maybe or accidental hot key press. In your tutorial as you make adjustments they appear in view port. On my side I make the adjustment then have to click up in the stack to see the result. So its constantly back and forth.

That sounds very strange. Have you gone through this: https://www.sidefx.com/media/uploads/tutorial/foundations_gdc2018/houdini_foundations.pdf

The tutorial does require some houdini fluency.

1 Like

I do appreciate I am fresh to the software. I will go over that link, thank you.

Yeah, It’s always good to brush up on the basics. Didn’t mean to seem snarky, only that I keep a quite high pace through the video as it’s the fifth in the series. I go a bit slower in the first ones.

However, if you are still stuck, post a clip of what’s happening and I’ll try to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not at all, I appreciate the serious commitment to sharing knowledge. No ego bruised here :slight_smile: Will be in touch if needed.

Awesome ! thx a lot !

New to Houdini but would love to give this a run! Is there anywhere to follow up on updates to this? Thanks for putting the time into these tuts