Tristan Reimus: Sketch #29

https://gph.is/g/aKNQ6N6

Of course I’ll be making something for this sketch! Love the spooky :ghost:

I want to do a gory pumpkin explosion with nice and goopy insides.

This is what I’ve got going on now, but my idea is that the magic circle summons a demon into the pumpkin and it explodes leaving grossness covering the room. Right now the fluid splatter on the walls are kinda angular, that’s something I want to work on.

I’ll mostly be using houdini and photoshop to make assets, then I’ll put it all together UE4 and render with sequencer. Made some creepy tendrils and fluid animation for splatter on the walls, want them to be totally covered in the end!

I’ll take some time in another post to show how I made the assets!

14 Likes

good start! i love the little scene. i wonder: the right decal…it seems the light is coming from the wrong direction there…?

2 Likes

Thanks man! Yeah you’re totally right I was having issues with importing normals for a fluid VAT, the newly updated tools in houdini are now handled slighty different in the ue4 shader, got them working correctly now. Also fixed the normals on the pumpkin debris pieces.

I merged the two splats into one big one in the corner, I want to make a big primary one first and then I’ll add smaller ones later. Also added some drops that I hooked up to a blueprint so I can spawn some spots when they collide, I’ll make some textures for those too at some point

Gonna work on what causes the explosion to happen in the first place this weekend, a demon being summoned into it :skull:

Added some more candles all around and gave them two parameters in the shader that I can control in sequencer, one randomly fades out the different flames using vertex color and the other does it radially using a sphere mask. They’re using the spline thicken function to face the camera and a color curve to define how they look. Here’s the shader.

Thinking of animating the face that appears on the pumpkin, or maybe putting a classic cartoon ghost on a soulcoaster from the candles to the pumpkin. Also still not sure yet how I’ll make the inner chunks of the explosion, not sure if eroding sprites will be okay or if I should go for a meshed solution.

2 Likes

Very cool!

I think the candle-ignition could be even better when you let it “blink” very bright for just a split second by ramping up the emissive to maybe 100 times of the usual value and after 1-2 frames scale it down to the desired value.

1 Like

Looks good already man!

I think it would benefit from some anticipation on the pumpkin. Like wiggle, growing etc. Then the burst.
Also the candle flames could be sucked in towards the direction of the pumpkin when the pentagram charges up?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I didn’t have time to dive in deep today but I quickly added those bits you mentioned!

The candles were easy to do with the shader I posted, for the random fade I increased the equal threshold in the if statement and put my scalar there. The radial one I did with a second sphere mask that’s slightly bigger then the one making them fade. For the shake I made a quick 3 channel noise texture, scaled it super big in the shader and pan it quickly over the whole object.

I’ll be making splashy textures and goopy bits now!

1 Like

I’ve been working on a cooler way of doing the pumpkin’s face based on an idea I had and a suggestion from a colleague. In houdini I bend the mesh and bool out a mouth hole, then convert the whole thing to a vertex anim. Also added an inner sphere that bends in the same way, making some simple stretching tendrils

However, I’m having trouble hiding the rough normals created by the bool, making the swap real easy to see. I tried various ways of hardering, softening and different mesh generation but everything looks the same or worse. If anyone has a hot tip of fixing these I’d appreciate it!

1 Like