Torbach: sketch #8 WIP

my current sketch

here is latest sketch (8th iteration)

Blaster Master

Blaster Master

7 Likes

It’s basic Unity, Shuriken systems - here’s some breakdown of the textures I painted

going for hybrid 2D look, soft with graphic elements

no meshes just billboards, medium amount of overdraw

the cartoonier shape using set seed

4 Likes

Updated the timing and then added the secondary micro blasts you see at the end; I’m pretty happy with it, I thought about residual smoke but it distracted from the clean feel imo

1 Like

minor updates and tweak - decided to add smoke at the end and more scale to the secondary pops

7 Likes

adding color, some texture to the middle,

also asymmetry like in the original

changed some sorting too on the black ring being above the magenta ring,

added 1 more outer shockwave to try to give it more power
along with

8 Likes

I decided to get rid of the double pop on the main blast, found it distracting, adjusted some colors colder, and added some hot coal like gibs; placing gif on top post too

Im out of ideas on polishing, at this point I feel stuck

5 Likes

how about a shrinking or growing contrast frame with a white card/bloom effect for 1 frame

just a suggestion. I am sure you get the point. Also you could some heat debris with outwards movement and smoke arms to underline the volume of the effect.

yah I can give it a shot, maybe punctuating the blast and adding some trails. thanks VinceWee

[quote=“VinceWee, post:7, topic:3121”]
white card/bloom effect for 1 frame
[/quote] okay i’m taking a cue from LoZ when Link gets hurt they palette shift white , black, blue, normal

also adding smoke trail texture to give some tendrils,

hope it’s not overworked

8 Likes

yes timing is getting more punchy now even tho I am sure you can even push it more with a sharp shape. Good job !:slight_smile: