Thomas Denis: Sketch #18 - Hologram

Final:

ezgif-5-c89820a455cf

First sketch! Hi everyone :smile:

Wanted to make something with particles only, so here for each one spawned on the mesh ( our dear Adam from Unity ) a geometry shader outputs the base particle, a second for its projection, and sometimes a third one for the lines in the middle.
A compute shader takes care of updating the particles ( base position, life cycle, noise, etc ).

Next step is gonna be the activation I think!

31 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s a really clever technique and the result looks fantastic. Would it work with a moving mesh?

It does! Thanks a lot :smile:

ezgif-5-0fe877df125f

14 Likes

Really like the imperfect tracking of the motion! This makes it feel more ā€œrealā€ instead of a perfect representation.

1 Like

@raytheonly Thanks!

Trying some stuff now for the activation, canā€™t manage to get it right :stuck_out_tongue:

HologramActivation2_optimized

3 Likes

@Twyx
Maybe try adding some glitchy/flicker effect on activation? Overall looks really cool!

1 Like

Way better!

HologramActivation3_optimized

4 Likes

I love this, especially with the animated character. It looks so nice and ā€œmotionblurryā€.

The activation sequence though, doesnā€™t make too much sense to me when thinking about the floor lights emitting/producing the whole thing theoretically.
Just a thought, what about getting rid of those floor lights, and in favor of the fx build some machinery at the sides, that would also explain the rays coming sideways.

Hereā€™s a sketch to show what I mean, and an idea for an intro, so the device starts centric and then floats outside + up + rotating around center (= spiral movement) , while kind of webbing the hologram in the middle.

sorry, if this is impolite that I just jumped in here with this suggestion you didnā€™t ask for. I just really love what you did so far because it is pretty different and original, so i couldnā€™t hold my brain back from spitting out ideas for it.

3 Likes

Hey! Thank you for your answer.
Great ideas actually. I have to say I didnā€™t put much thoughts into the practical side of the projector, but Iā€™ll definitely give that a try, it makes much more sense.
And donā€™t worry itā€™s not impolite at all, this is exactly what Iā€™m looking for when Iā€™m posting here. Thanks a lot! :smiley:

1 Like

Some progress on the activationā€¦

HologramActivation4_optimized

17 Likes

HECK YEAH!
mate, love it.

1 Like

Dude this is Rad, the idea of the holo device rotating is neat man, canā€™t wait to see more \m/

1 Like

Wuuuah, yeah nice progress! :smiley:

1 Like

wow, that looks great. I think it might look even better without red hologram at the start, I like how hologram is forming and the idea of not knowing whatā€™s the final effect/figure from the start to me sounds better :slight_smile: but it might not be.

Once reveal is complete seems like texture is moving in one direction, imo it might be better if you can hide the movement of the texture a bit?

Anyway, it looks great so far. Please make more stuff! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@pamar Thank you. :slight_smile: I think I prefer the idea of having a ā€˜previewā€™ of the final thing though, like a silhouette being filled up

I started tweaking the colors, here Iā€™m sampling some texture using the particles position. I added more subtle gltiches aswell

10 Likes

Really stylish! Nice work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Iā€™m done here, thank you guys itā€™s been fun!

12 Likes

looks very nice, great, inspirational piece!

1 Like

wow, awesome you ranked second place. thats pretty cool. especially when looking at the tough competition.
congrats!

Really enjoying the end result, and following the steps.

1 Like