Sketchbook Torbach

they’re all derivations of the slash and 3 extras (one of which is certainly just ‘Dot_pin’ to be the glow)

1. dusty
  2. glow
  3. soft_ring

here are some split away from the group
orbsetc

1 Like

Many thanks, Torbach! Both for showing the texture and for showing them at work alone :star_struck:

I’ll try painting some tomorrow. I think now I know why mine weren’t working.

By the way, do you hand paint it? How do you usually go for painting this kind of texture?
I was doing the following, more or less:
Paint it horizontally, straight, then Polar Coordinates it and see how it’s looking. Then I use Smudge and Eraser to get it to a more desirable shape + use maximum or minimum to get nice white spots, along with Blurs.

PS: If you know any good tutorials on handpainted textures or textures in general, don’t hesitate on dropping it!

by hand, I work indirect and i don’t have any sophisticated tricks, nothing that would be of mention to actual concept artists that demonstrate interesting technique.

largely i’m pixel pushing adding, erasing and smudging is 90% of my work

1 Like

Here is a nice video playlist of texture drawing techniques, it’s in korean but you can follow along without audio as well.

I use Krita and the tools are a bit different but most of the time is mostly the same stuff but I find tiling is easier there too.

And this one, which is not on the list but was the one I wanted to share.

(Also, sorry Torbach for the intrusion in your sketchbook)

2 Likes