Sketchbook - Lux Faerie Court Q Ability

Hey there !
I’m new to Real Time VFX, and i wanted to give it a shot :wink:
I’m in a video game school and i want to be a vfx artist ! A lot of people told me that making a thread here was a good way to be in touch with all of the VFX community.
I project to make a copy of the Q ability of Lux Faerie Court in LoL as a start.
So i’ll be describing all the steps here. I have to add that i’m learning VFX graph as i go with this vfx, so i’ll maybe ask for advices if i’m too lost about it technically.
Please be nice with me !

I’ll update as i go…

:nerd_face: Analysis :nerd_face:
Firstly, i started a pure ref with my references, and i made a list with all the needed élément. I started with the faeric cylinder appearing on the foe, since i found it more easy.

I’ve also heard that Riot does not use HDR in their VFX, so i’ll do like them.

2 Likes

01/09 Update :

So I started with the two circles rotating at the top and the bottom of this faerical cyclinder.

Lil magic circle
But i have a problem now… As you see, the colors are really fade, and i presume it is because of the order in layer between my two systems that is not correct.
I searched for a solution, and i’ve found scripts to deal with the problem, or hand made packages, but i’ve also asked to a friend who know better than me vfx graph… Searching for the easiest solution about it…

Why did you choose VFX graph over particle system?

hi ! i just wanted to learn it. i made a certain amount of vfxs with shuriken, and it’s pretty limited sometimes, i kinda felt like i’ve reached the boundaries of it. A friend of mine told me that it was easier to make what you want on vfx graph once you learned how to use it. it’s more difficult to learn, but so much more versatile. Also, links between code, vfx graph, and shader are more easy too from what i’ve seen.

1 Like

Thanks for your view, looking at all the parameters, seems familiar.

04/09 Update :

The order in Layer problem is solved thanks to my friend !

I continued my VFX and did a bunch of elements. This is what it looks like now !
UpdateFaericCircle

I have a lot of tweaks to do on all of the elements already here.
For exemple, i’m not really convinced by the little aurora particles. Overall, the original VFX looks a lot more “compact” and defined than mine for now. But i’ll work on it ! I think the problem has something to do with some layering glows…

I learn a lot on how VFX graph is working !

To do the Butterfly Wing Effect, i’ve found a really useful thread about How to project a texture in Screen Space : Getting textures with screen-space UV to scale with camera distance in shader graph - #3 by bgolus - Unity Engine - Unity Discussions

No matter where you look at the texture, it adapts to the camera !

See you soon for more update ! :rooster:

Looking good, keep it up!
What was your approach to create the texture used for the to and bottom elements?

1 Like

Thank you very much ! It keeps me motivated <3
Basically i just copied the textures already in game in Procreate :W
i made a circle for support shape and i juste tried my best ! but i want to refine it once i have all the elements.

wip faeric
Hi there ! Here is my wip…
I realised that maybe it will be easier for me if i took the particle one by one from the beginning to ajust the timing… So…
I added the green aura at the beginning and the violet one too.
Also modified the texture of the blue butterfly wing… (wip) and the little burst with stars is on its way.
But i have some issues with the green aura shader. It seems like the timing is not the same, and it depends on if i’m on game view or not, the shader is always tiling and i don’t how to stop that. I’ll do my research for this.
I also discarded the multi colored auras because i do not control them well for now, i’ll do some experiments on my side.

I’ll continue the star burst and then i’ll try to make some big foggy particles to gather all the effects together. And maybe we’ll have something nice at the end ! :blush:

finger crossed, i’ll do my best

see ya !

1 Like