Simple Mesh Generators (using Houdini Engine)

Hey Mike,

How about a pivot point offset ? I’d want my half sphere to grow from the centre or from the bottom depending on what I’m trying to achieve.

I still haven’t tried the tools but this is looking great, thanks!

I think that the engine plugins use the origin as the pivot point when you bake the mesh. So you could position the half sphere relative to the origin and set the pivot offset that way.

This is fantastic! Great time saver.
The only function i’m missing is something to easily create flowing mesh ribbons similar to this maya tool:

Check out @Partikel’s tutorial on how to do that. CurveSweeper // Intro to Houdini Engine // Houdini for Games | SideFX
And then you can customise it any way you want. :slight_smile:

can some of the shape creations be driven dynamically so we are able to create & manipulate in realtime during game play? that could be useful.

Houdini Engine doesn’t work in runtime. It’s purely a content creation tool.

1 Like

I thought the tool was running in UE4.

It does. In the editor, not the game. It generates static components that are then used in the game once it’s built.
Since it’s running a full version of Houdini in the background, you have a few obstacles to conquer. The first one is making it fast enough for realtime. Second is how you send data back and forth since it’s in essence an import/export that happens. And lastly, my favorite: You’d have to include a full license of Houdini with every game so it can generate the assets for you. I’d love to see the price on that game :wink:

5 Likes

You can use it to generate content but it takes a few frames for it to cook new values, Those few frames are short but makes it feel like “lagging” if you were to change values in realtime while playing.

ps: weird, The thread appeared as new on my feed yet it’s old, Sorry for the necro.

WOW! Amazing! Thank you! Its funny, but i create my own generators early and then find this.