Simon Trümpler: Sketch #20 WIP

I dont understand alot of what you did with the match etc, but it looks amazing Simon :D. Will you use the flame for a nice animation like a projectile? or keep it a single flame for now?

WOW!nice work. this reminds me of the way to make 2D flames in AE.

Legal cheating is kinda the point here in a way.

The challenge is limiting on purpose in such a way that the only conceivable way to acctualy make what you want is to find creative ways to solve your problems.

2 Likes

Very cool you came up with another interesting solution than using noise. A lot to take away here.
Yes, using the noise generators feels a bit cheaty, since it can be used like a common texture and doesn’t need any additional thinking.
I’d say those runtime flipbooks are a very cool invention and absolutely fine for the contest, we’d have to disqualify every noise based entry too if this was a no-go :stuck_out_tongue:

I only use fract, multiplication, addition and 1x sine with 1x cosine (there is a noise node to randomize circles size, but it can be replaced with a simpler hash function)
I think with few layers of this it shold be possible to do something almost identical to what you did with particle

generation of a flipbook is cool but too heavy and too slow

p.s. reuploaded video with better resolution

2 Likes

noiseless%20flame

this one has no random at all, and no particle only circles created with math drawn on a single quad
I’ll post details in my thread :fire:

3 Likes

This is utterly mad, and I love it. A dynamically made Flip book!? Whsat! I’m pretty sure that’s a brand new sentence.

…ughhh…

my head hurts. lol. :drooling_face:

@PixelPerfect Thank you so much for taking the time recording the video, bro! That’s awesome! Your results look way better then mine. I tried around with your workflow but didn’t use the results as UV distortion but just as cutting-mask and the results are medium I would say :smiley: Need to try around a bit more. Thanks for your help!

i’m glad you like it, looks like we inventing something very cool

Yeah you stuff looks really cool. I think the style goes almost a bit into the rime-fire, but without the use of textures <3

Yes, I saw your great presentation about that fire, and I was surprised that you decided to go particle way…

It is exactly how it was made in the first version of my fire, but now I’m trying to get rid of the noise.

I tried a bit around and when you multiply your UVs with let’s say 4.0 and floor() the R-channel, you get bands of different shades of gray. With that in combination in doing the same with G-Channel and some offsetting I got some ok-ish pattern for adding more chaos to the grow/shrink-behavior. I had to do this because I didn’t got the noise running in Unreal like you did in Unity.

Now you are building custom noise functions based on UV input. You guys are sick! :joy:

Does unreal allow you to create custom nodes? if yes it should be easy to implement your own noise, you can find lot’s of noise source code on shadertoy

@PixelPerfect good idea with the custom nodes. you’re right, it’s possible to write hlsl :slight_smile:

I worked a bit more into the direction of flipbooks because i liked the style a bit more, the particle-based system gives me a bit more artistic control and in general I was interested to complete the workflow.

NEW:

6 Likes

@simonschreibt I love seeing your stuff and then reading through the threads. Your problem solving skills are in incredible. :smiley:

1 Like

I think it could be quite interesting to try and up-res the pixelated one or just find a way to non-uniformly blur the high res output. That could end up breaking apart the circular shapes even more.

Should the circular shapes really need to be broken appart?
It’s not necessarily just a technical constraint, it can be embraced as a stylistic choice and therefore not be hidden.

3 Likes

@colbaltblue thank you! :slight_smile:

Found a way to do the pixelation in the shader. No extra render target needed (but the one I was using before can be set to lower resolution. For this example I use 256px insteaf of 1024px) :slight_smile:

@mkalt0235 Yes, you’re right! I’m totally going for the disc-style! That Kung-Fu-Panda-Vid is my main reference and I love it :slight_smile: The pixelation is just a little test for fun :smiley:

8 Likes

I worked on the flame itself and added more detail. Hope you like it :slight_smile:

sketch20_05b

Higher resolution:

5 Likes