Shadertoy Goin Strong!

Shadertoy is an explosion of amazingness. While there’s tons of stuff to look at…post the stuff that really WORKS, here? :slight_smile:

Check out the noise function!

Is c1c1c1c1c1*c1 cheaper than pow(c1,6)?

I don’t know that i would call this “smoke”, but it’s definitely a cool dissolve style.

Kaboom

I love how people stretch their imaginations in naming these…

Little Prince, at one point i’m pretty sure i had the cloud noise and planet noise perfectly lined up.

3 Likes

Shadertoy, the site where I had my “lightbulb” moment about how shaders worked. Incredibly valuable resource.

1 Like

Has anyone looked at porting ShaderToys to UE4? I’d love a 1:1 website.

Especially for those of us who are yet to free our minds and read the matrix. >_>

I’ve done a couple animated patterns that I’ve ported from shadertoy, I generally tend to prototype in shadertoy and then bring them into UE4 for fragment shaders.

And what’s the process around this? Do you have to map every line to a corresponding node? Is there a 1:1? Does shadertoy have a framework around it? For example, is each shadertoy fed a set of standard inputs (ie. mouse position). If so, that framework (of inputs) would have to be recreated before porting. Do you rely heavily on the custom node and pasting HLSL directly? I haven’t looked into it much myself. These are just questions off the top of my head.

I mean, end of the day the UE4 material editor is just a node based hlsl editor, so once I’ve prototyped what I need in glsl, it’s pretty straightforward to recreate it with nodes in UE4, I just find it easier to iterate with glsl in code form.

I remember a tech artist writing about everything he had to do to get stuff from shader toy into unreal but i can’t find it buried in a million link folders. So sorry.

At least you know it is out there.