Sai Mawalla: Sketch #64

This is my first time joining in on the monthly sketches so I wanted to do something familiar but still out of my comfort zone. I’m taking heavy inspiration from Don’t Starve’s self aware furniture and objects and want to improve at mesh animations and animated materials. It was a fun time from start to finish. Super excited for the next sketch!

Thumbnail:
BundleCoffin
Effect:
Bundled Nightmare_GIF

9 Likes

Here’s my current progress on the coffin. I’m pretty happy with how close to the concept I got but man, making those wraps was a pain. I thought I could find some easier way around it with add-ons/plugins but at the end of the day I decided to just tough it out and adjust the vertexes with the always reliable proportional editing tool.

The next hurdle will be the eye and rigging this thing, but for now its back into the lab for me!

Critique/Advice is greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Current progress on the textures and the ribbon arm animation. I still intend on getting that eye in there but I wanted to see how everything looked in engine before I move on to cleanup. I could definitely do better on the brushwork.

WrapGif

3 Likes

Coffin WIP
Lots of progress today with the new textures and integration of the eye. The “HUH?!” reaction it does when the loot is banging on the door was my favorite part to make. I’ve been doing lots of research on textures, lighting as well.

Now its time to move on to the niagara system and the inner material! I want to make the dark hand easier to see as it reaches around.

4 Likes

For my first sketch, I’m fairly happy with how it came out. Using animated rigs for particle effects was always a bit intimidating, but after this challenge I feel a lot more confident in using them more. I’ve been thinking of using them again in a future Niagara system.

If I could go back and change something, I’d change the background color so that the arm stood out more. Also doing all of the coffins animation in Blender rather than the unreal sequencer. :skull:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lGD3oa

2 Likes