LIFE AT BRIGHTROCK
We’re a small, stable indie studio in the heart of Brighton, UK. We’ve been on a bit of a journey. Now we’re in the enviable position of being able to embark on our NEXT BIG THING. We’ve learned lots from making our highly-praised first game, War for the Overworld, and we’re taking those lessons forward into our new project.
You can be a part of this future.
We’re looking for people that live and breathe games like we do, that are willing to challenge tradition, and that have the drive and attention to detail needed to get a great game out the door. We want people that know their stuff, but who are always pushing to learn more – we learn things from each other every day, and each of us is deep diving into our specialties so we can get better. Being a specialist is one thing of course, but in a team this small you’ll also need to balance a fair few hats on that bonce of yours as well.
If you can do all that, well then maybe we ought to be having a chit-chat!
We pride ourselves on the strength of our core team, but we also work with a bunch of awesome freelancers.
We are looking for a 3D VFX artist to join us on an initial 6-month full-time contract to develop the Next Big Thing™ from Brightrock Games!
You will work on some truly wacky stuff – both organic assets (like alien vomit and radioactive pustules), hard surface props (like teleportation devices and laser arrays), and everything in-between. You will be responsible for implementing assets directly into the game itself, as well as working closely with the animation team to bring them to life.
You will be a core part of a high performing team of developers creating games in some of the most rewarding genres – simulation, RTS and management. As such, you are someone who is competent working with the code and design teams to create art that works within the constraints and requirements of the project.
We encourage women, BIPOC applicants, and members of other underrepresented groups to apply.
- Initially a 6-month full-time freelance contract starting ASAP
- This role is a remote working position
- Create, manage and optimize VFX assets
- Collaborate with artists, programmers and animators to iterate and polish
- Optimize VFX to fit design and technical constraints
- Maintain and adhere to a consistent art style
- Work with the code team to ensure you are making the most of your art and finding creative ways to make it work in a primarily simulation-driven game
- A strong understanding of Unity3D and its VFX framework
- A solid grasp of the principles of motion, anticipation, dynamics, follow-through, lighting, and other facets of animation
- A great portfolio – Be it professional experience or personal projects showing your talent
- Strong work ethic, time management and organisational skills
- Communication skills – asking for help, voicing feedback and concerns, interacting with the team and socialising
- Must be able to work during our core operating hours (10am – 4pm GMT+0) on most days
- Skills in 2D/3D concepting/drawing/prototyping
- Experience with Unity3D shaders
- A passion for strategy and simulation games like Dungeon Keeper, RollerCoaster Tycoon and Theme Hospital
- 100m³ of Unobtainium