Rebersonalves: Sketch #41

Hello! I think i´m a little behind schedule, but I will experiment with some techniques on creating the basic lightning element. Here are some references that I like.

172914cjtl6mmt6lgydttk 233123op663zc664icmmcl konstantin-d-biglightingfinal-2

Here´s the final entry:

Lightning_Final_Gif

8 Likes

Here´s a WIP so far:
Lightningh_WIP

I think I have put the main elements of the effect, and from now on I will try to improve each of these elements and replace the placeholders for more polished versions.

Below are the elements separated:

• For the Lightning itself, I´ve modeled a and rigged a 3d mesh. I made a custom shader graph to give this flick effect using vertex offset. The rigged mesh allows me to make some small variations on the silhouette and combine various lightningh strikes. I still want to improve it by adding a “dissolving” effect when the lightning starts to disappear .
    Lightning_Mesh

• The sparks are composed by 4 different particle emitters:
    Spark

• This flickering line to show before the main strike. Something to telegraph the main effect.

StaticLine

• Smoke puff after the impact. Gonna try to work more on this one:
    Smoke

• Simple Point Light
    Light

• Simple Decal and Ground Shatter Mesh. They are not working very well together, maybe a should choose one or another:
    Decal

• A Expanding Emitter for the Ring effect. Still not close to the intended effect, wanted to look more Tight, but somehow the timeline isn´t letting it play in local space as it should.

• And some debris emitter with a simple mesh with physics applied

That´s all for now. Please do comment for any suggestions. I will greatly appreciate any insight for this opportunity to grow. Cheers!

4 Likes

Quick update: New Smoke Puffs simulated in blender and turned into sprite sheet. Also improved Light Flash
Lightning_WIP2

6 Likes

Hello! In this Wip I´ve tried to improve the debris and added a crater using depth mask:
Lightning_WIP3

The crater and pebbles objects were sculpted in Zbrush , retopo in blender and painted in Substance Painter

3 Likes

I recognise this crater :face_with_monocle:

Nice work :ok_hand:

1 Like

Improved Lightning shader and added some secondary Strikes

2 Likes

Hey There! There it is the finalized project:

Lightning_Final_Gif

7 Likes

And Here´s in half speed: