RandomStroke: Sketch #39

rtvfx_f

Alrighty, will try to get this one to the end…So, no matter how far those good old (s)NES days are, i still remember that those fx seemed awesome, which means that’s it’s actually not only about sprites resolution) Here are the snippets from several NES games…I think i’ll make several projectiles and maybe one big fx…will see. By now, some refs from the well-known games ( from left to right : Contra , MegaMan 2,3, Metal Storm , Metroid )

Current status : final result i came up with^^ I used original SNES resolution 512x448

2 Likes

So, started out with a simple sphere-like sprite…thanks to composite network in Houdini , ( and a quantize node ) getting 16 colors is fast and easy)
image
image

4 Likes

Nice to see a useful COMPS approach to texture filtering :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made some modular environment stuff…just to place fx in)

image

Tiny update : made some variations to the projectiles…still not quite happy with the result. Probably contrasts play much bigger role in such scales


image
image

So…lack of planning brought me to the perfect idea of remaking the whole scene…as usual :smiley:
This time, i’ll try to make smth. like final boss scene…and so here goes some of the sketches i’ve made for it…
So the boss will be this sort of…monstrous head…I’ve made a block in maya and then brought it to the ZBrush…final state is just quantize the image into 16 available colors
image
image


image
So the last image is just a set of lighting variations i’ve made…will see what’s gonna work the best

1 Like

Decided to add a pre-phase to the main one…like when you have to destroy the shell before getting to the main fight…Hope to finish all env. details tomorrow…and finally get to fx))


Ok so the beginning is probably done…the whole odea is to reveal the…head after some kind of lightning…withought fx so far but…had to start with smth.
image

So finally brought it all to Unity…and assembled the 1st phase , there is still a bit of time so i think i’ll try to finish 2nd pahse tomorrow and then polish the whole thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright , so i made some tweaks to the projectiles sprites, added some kind of explosion and added a transition phase…hope to finish it all by the deadline
image
image

So finally got it all together…somehow i’ve spent more time on the scene then on the fxs’ itself , but i think it’s fine :slight_smile: So the overall approach in making sprites was the same : get a render or a bare texture in Houdini COP’s , added stuff i wanted and then make sure to quantize it at 1/16’th ( just to get the proper grading ) and then bring it to unity and…that’s it. For the opening and transitional parts i’ve just used rendered frames.
image

For the environment i used ZBrush with Maya ( for lighting and scene assembling )
image

And for unity…that’s just a scripted activation / deactivation of certain objects
image