Rali: Sketch #27 Ice

Hey everyone! This is my first sketch, and I’m excited to participate in it! I wanted to create an effect that’s similar to how Mei’s Ice Wall ability acts; however, I wanted to add a magical twist to it. I already have a mock-up of some models and will update as I progress!

I want to get a sense of time and weight with this effect, and I’m open to critiques and ideas!

Final

Progress:

Update 1
IceBarrier

Update 2
IceBarrier_Day2

Update 3
IceBarrier_Day3
IceBarrier_Day3_Casting

References:

9 Likes

Ice texture is so stylized… and it’s good. I want to make something similar in the future and I have found some references a lot time ago. Here is one of them, maybe it will be helpful for you

1 Like

Here is some progress I have made, I added some icy mist and wanted to have the ice blocks break apart into pieces. I still want to play around with the timing, and add in a few more secondary effects.

Any critiques or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

IceBarrier_Day2

Thank you! I still want to go back and improve the textures and the shader, I want to add some subsurface and maybe refraction. I like the reference you’ve shown; I do want to add more detail to the snow near the ground.

Progress Update:
I added some emissive glow to the ice shader to create a “fake” subsurface effect. I also added some small snowflakes falling from the blocks. I changed some timing and feel like I need to return and tweak it some more.

I also started work on the casting effect, I feel like its at a good place but I really wanna take it further.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and I’m excited to be part of this challenge!

IceBarrier_Day3

IceBarrier_Day3_Casting

1 Like

This is looking cool - that very last GIF makes me want to re-watch The Last Airbender series :slightly_smiling_face: Keep up the good work, I’m looking forward to seeing how this one progresses!

I really like where this is headed, Id love to see some kind of build up before they pop out of the ground, maybe the ground shakes a little with ice and smoke popping out a bit as if the ice is struggling to push itself out of the ground :smiley:

Hey everyone, thank you so much for all the feedback and ideas! I wasn’t able to update as much as I wanted since I was sick. This is my final effect, I want to come back to it, but I had a blast just creating it and sharing it with you all! This was a fun event, and I’m definitely planning on participating in the next one!

5 Likes

It looks great! I dig the timing :smile:

Looking really cool :slight_smile: My favourite I think. I like the overall stylised look and the timing is also great.

Only thing I would add is maybe the ice wall could start shaking/vibrating just before it shatters as a tell that the effect is about to end?

The casting effects are really nice too :slight_smile: