Portal Laser

Hey! :smiley:
I’ve looked through the previous sketches and tried combining those with my personal interests. I’ve tried making a powerful looking spell (supposedly casted by a mage, but I dont have any animations for it…:x) where portal get spawned that shoot lasers onto a target on the ground, which then lead to a bigger portal being generated through the energy of the smaller portals. Again I would love to hear what you think about this, and which parts I could improve to make this look even more interesting!

4 Likes

Looks really sweet, how did you make the little “wisps” from the first circle fly to smoothly onto the bigger circle?

As for how to improve it I think if you make the big beam move even faster, and perhaps add some screen shake to the camera while it’s firing.

Those whisps are basicaly ribbons that have a very short lifetime, where the material is basically a radial mask. Then I just set the size/life to something like 0,1,0 thats it! :slight_smile:
I will try and make it even faster, I always get excited if someone tells me to make it even more “explosive” or fast :smiley: also I wanted to definetely start playing around with screenshake, but I always felt like I’m trying to hide something by doing it. I’ll definetely give it a shot and see how it turns out, thanks alot! ^-^

1 Like

Not at all!
The spell looks amazing dude, keep at it!

1 Like

Hey hey!
I’ve been playing around with the screen shake for the first time now, thanks to your suggestions! :smiley: it definetely added more power into the scene, not sure how much I overdone it though, tell me what you think! :stuck_out_tongue: I also sped up the big laser, so that should also add even more energy into the scene!

Do you think I should also speed up the energy rings around the laser itself?

1 Like

I think that screenshake is just perfect, it really adds an amazing amount of power to it!

Personally I would love to cast this spell upon a horde of enemies ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Thanks alot! :smiley: You’re really boosting my motivation with those lovely words haha! :smiley:

1 Like