Orik : Sketch #14 WIP

Hello guys,

I’ve been quite busy and I wanted to join this contest. Here is my WIP so far, feel free to comment ! Thanks
!

Last update :
https://gph.is/2O1FmxG
:slight_smile: Here is the first sketch, looking for a feel, a motion
Sketch_1

I decided to go on this one

And here is the early WIP animated inside Popcorn

32 Likes

Hello !

I decided to go deeper in the lightning part, It was to confused and did not fit to the original concept, here is my result
https://gph.is/2O1FmxG

13 Likes

thats pretty gorgeous. IS the electricity a mesh?

1 Like

No, all is Billboard and ribbons here

2 Likes

OH wowza! v cool my main man

1 Like

Hell yeah, the lightning feels a lot better now. I thought it was a stylistic choice at first, which I also liked a lot :stuck_out_tongue: . Epic work man!

1 Like

Inspiring work. Love it!
If this is a ribbon, does your shader have the scolling UV? Is the texture set to clamp?

I’m new at this, I’m trying to lean :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You have some lovely colours here.

1 Like

Thanks! Glad you like it!
Yes, this is inside PopcornFX, there is some scrolling UVs, with the texture in repeat mode and a remap to dissipate :smiley:

1 Like

I feel like some of the electric sparks are too snappy. You might consider giving them a longer life where they blend to their complimentary color and dim for a bit longer. It could give you that retinal after image feel.

1 Like

@Orik this is amazing! could you explain the process of how the lightning is made? is it using a panning texture or is it manually animated using a flipbook?

1 Like

Looks like a UV distortion and scrolling ribbons to me.

Hello @Iby , the process of the lightning is pretty simple and similar to the rest of the fx, It’s actually alslo using a panning texture. No flipbook at all here

Here is the texture
T_Ribbon_Lightnings
I just set some IDs inside the texture in order to create variations like so :
T_Ribbon_Lightnings_IDS

Hope it helps ! :grinning:

11 Likes

Oh that’s sound a great idea, I need to try this out, thanks ! :smiley:

Hi Orik!
I am really really love this effect! I wonder how you can make it.
Can you share detail tutorial that you made this effect??? :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

@Orik this is amazing! The texture really explains a lot. I was also going to ask how the nice tiny sparks were made but it was part of the Texture. Its an amazing trick. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Hey here is a small breakdown of the effect :slight_smile:
I made the animation slower to have a better overview and also increaded the particle count.

1rst step adding the little lightnings sparks:
LightSparks

2nd step adding the panning lightning :
Lightning

3rd step adding the main slash + a light :

Result with post processing :

17 Likes

love it… nice effects and colors

1 Like

Hi.
Do you know how to implement this effect in unity? I spend the whole day and I have no idea how to make in ? ^(

Sorry, I’m newbie in FX