Ofiicial VFX Sketch #14: Sword Trail

Unsheathe ye blades! :crossed_swords:

The Challenge: (create an effect based on the following): “Sword Trail”

Submitting: Create a new topic in the “Events > 14 - Sword Trail” category with your name in the title and the sketch number (e.g.: “Susie Stevens: Sketch #14 WIP”, and post your work! This includes any work in progress you may want to show as well as your final result. Final entries should be posted through either Vimeo, Youtube, or as a high quality GIF.

Please be sure to cite your sources if you are using another artists work as a base, or even taking inspiration! Remember, this is a learning platform, and is meant to be used as personal work that pushes you technically and/or artistically!

Timeline: One month (July 3rd - July 31st 11:59 pm PST)

Scoring and Winners: Sketch badges will be awarded to all participants. Points will be earned based on the amount of likes/buzz your topic receives (hint: show your work in progress ;))

1st Place (most likes and buzz): 1st place VFX Sketch badge and avatar badge
2nd Place (second most likes and buzz): 2nd place VFX Sketch badge and avatar badge
All Participants (put forth a visible worthy effort): participation badge

"Voting": To vote for your favorite entries, all you have to do is drop some love by clicking the like button on any of the owners posts within their topic during the course of the month. This is not the only factor in determining the winners but it is heavily influential in the final results. Winners will be selected by the 3rd of the following month.

As always, if you have any question feel free to ask below!

Good luck and have fun! :crossed_swords:

19 Likes

DmCTrail_opt
One of the trails from DmC, made by @Omar_P

7 Likes

Thanks @mkalt0235 :blush:

There are various styles of trails to refer to.
At the end of the video, you can check the shape of the image.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQItTyyKsiA

7 Likes

Very good examples.

From my experience these two for instance sum up really well what a good trail needs.

Make it bolder / heavier / more glowy at the start and on the striking edge and add some details along the way. As a very quickly badly drawn sketch, it’d be something along those lines:

10 Likes

I’m not very familiar with weapon trails so this might be a good exercise. If i had time :disappointed_relieved:

Awesome work, awesome game!

1 Like

Nice! Question: Does it have to be swords? Could it be a… lets say hammer? :smiley:

I think the names are only there for inspiration, they are not acctualy a limiting factor afaik. That being said, a hammer is more like a creative limitation and less of a deviation from sword in this case, so I think you’re good.

1 Like

@Niels is correct. It’s not meant to be a hard and fast rule but to get people creating similar content, share ideas, get inspired and have fun hopefully! If you went off and did something totally different and unrelated I would say share away, just maybe not in the challenge. But if it’s essentially in the same vein, like hammer swing, that’s perfectly ok!

1 Like