Official VFX Sketch #45: The Cubes Only Challenge

Welcome to the 45th sketch, this month, a challenge!

The Cubes Only Challenge

Rules:

• Make an effect using only mesh particles, to which only a cube is assigned (3 sets of parallel faces all orthogonal to eachother)
  • No extra vertices (Only the 8 vertices required for the cube)
  • Cubes can be scaled non-uniformly.
  • You can do what you want with the materials.
  • Only particles can be used to make the effect (You cannot prebake into vat and run it from animation toolkit or static meshes etc…)
  • The theme is free to be used as you want.

Scoring and Winning:
Community Voting

Judging criteria includes:

• You showed WIP throughout the month
  • Your work is technically and artistically well-executed.
  • Followed challenge rules.
  • If you use non-cube particles, we will be subtracting a vote per particle we can see :smiley:

Submitting: Create a new topic in the " Events > 45: Cube Challenge " category with your name and sketch number in the title (Like this: “Seth Suzoku : Sketch #45” ), and post your updates to your topic during the month!

When you are finished, Edit your first post so it holds the final effect in the form of Youtube/Vimeo Video or High-Quality GIFs.

Important:

• Always cite your sources! Is your work based on someone else’s? Let us know! Always show your references.
  • All entries must be made during the running period shown below.
  • Do feel free to use any tool, system or workflow that pre-existed. Although we encourage experimentation.
  • Using a simple environment for presentation is allowed, but should remain simple and serve only as background.

Timeline:
August 3th → August 31st 11:59 PST

Badges:
Favorite : Will recieve a golden badge and avatar icon.
Runner up : Will recieve a silver badge and avatar icon.
All Participants : Will recieve a participations badge.

Badges_All_03

:sparkles: :gem: Sketch Hall of Fame (People who have Sketch Diamond - x3 wins!) :gem: :sparkles::

@Lush
@Spyro

:arrow_down: If you have any questions, tips or tricks, reply down below! :arrow_down:

Post on twitter with #CubeChallenge

Good luck, have fun!
:fire:

11 Likes

Reminds me about the usage of Yutapon Cubes on some animes :sparkles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wz6fFu7XFU

Could grab some inspiration from here! :gem:

5 Likes

Can we use cubes, and additionally other particles that aren’t cubes to accent them? Or I guess, as the title states, is it “only cubes”?

1 Like

If you use non-cube particles, we will be subtracting a vote per particle we can see

3 Likes

Oh, there it is :rofl: got it

https://youtu.be/k251QJZSECo

Got some refs boys

2 Likes

Can you use shader tesselation & pre-baked displacement maps to reconstruct geometry which is not a cube, or would that be considered off topic?

Wait why is this not popup in my front page? Only 11 days left :sob:

@jbilalte
No extra vertices (Only the 8 vertices required for the cube)

@golemsmk
My appologies, I forgot to mark it to pop to the front