Niels' Sketchbook

Playing around some more with niagara.
Mostly testing out events and general usability as a production ready tool.

https://youtu.be/KdNTX_drcCM

4 Likes

how did you go about making the splines for the projectiles? I’m always interested in peoples technique for making salvos!

It’s ribbons.
I have source particles for which the attraction force gets animated between zero and a large number when I want it to start falling towards the target.
The source particles generate a location event which spawns two ribbons with slightly different settings.

3 Likes

Some results for the comet sketch!

Comet002

13 Likes

wow, they are super cool. i love them!

1 Like

Two quick sketches from this weekend.

Thumbnail
Dissintegrate001_s

28 Likes

My inner Boba Fett approves of these disintegrations!

Question: Are those glowing edges on the cubes textured, shader trick, or something else? Very cool.

1 Like

I’ll link the material here.

This feeds into emissive

I made the edges procedurally because I didn’t know how thick I wanted them to be.
With a texture I would have had to remake the texture too many times.

You could totally do it with a texture though.

13 Likes

Duuuude, thats nice. :smiley:

1 Like

This sketchbook started with a portal effect, almost 3 years ago!

So I made another portal, with some updated techniques, and improvements, and slightly better performance.

5 Likes

I’d like to also show some other smaller things I’ve made the past few months

13 Likes

Wanted to join in the Weapon Swipe fun.

10 Likes

Super simple cool effect!
Actually, I have two questions!
first of all, how the sparks and smoke flipbook (I guess) following the front edge of the mesh?
The second is, do you rotating the mesh? or the texture is panning.
Thanks

There is an invisible guiding element that make a spiral motion from which the sparks are spawning.

Yes and yes, I’m rotating and scaling the mesh, but I’m also panning and scaling the textures inside the mesh.

1 Like

Slash_Generic03

11 Likes

looks great! it adds so much, that you animated the little sphere. great detail!

3 Likes

Just wanted to say this looks great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Moar progress!
Slash_Generic04

18 Likes

Man. U’re like the guy I want to be in 10 years later haha… U’re so good at this. Actually I have a question. I make a bubbles FX and use WPO to make it pop at normalizedage 0.9. Also, I use EventHandler to spawn some water streaks from the popped bubbles. But since the bubbles pop at normalizedage = 0.9 then when they die at 1, the water streak look like being delayed after the bubbles pop. Do you think I can do anything to fix this?

Summary

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bKy1lo

hello big wall of text
Dude that looks great! (It’s definitely not going to take 10 years, I’ve only been doing it for like 7 :wink:)

Are you using Niagara or Cascade?

In cascade this might be slightly difficult.
If the shape variation is purely on the material side, you can let the particle live until NormalizedAge 1, then during the death event spawn a copy of the bubble in a seperate emitter, as well as your splash particles. This copy would be used to animate the pop. Splashes can be the same as you have right now!

This method would also work in Niagara. Even better, you can pass in the particle ID of the bubble and use particle attribute reader to copy over all of the values, as such guaranteeing a perfect copy. (CPU Only because the event system only works on CPU)

If you are using Niagara and you want to use GPU particles, you could also just use the particle attribute reader to directly scan for a bool (for examples Particles.Popping) and use that to trigger behaviour in some invisible splash particles.

You can probably also be sneaky and work completly deterministic.
Set the location of the spash particle with the same seed as the bubbles and add a vertical offset to where the bubbles are when they pop.
Downside is that all movement logic needs to be the same for all particles, and you can only have one particle per splash. Which is not ideal.

There’s almost certainly other ways of doing this, Niagara is really open to creative solutions for these kinda problems.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

1 Like