Linolafett : Sketch #18 - Hologram

EDIT: Current progress

Hey, first time being here.
By chance i did a small little holograph shader in Blender (evee) and shared it with a friend.
He recommended me to share this here with you guys.

I have seen some super fancy particle VFX and am amazed by what you can do. I am stuck in the age of vertex colours and simple material blending, so i try to do my best with that.

Here are six polygons, vertex colours and two textures for you. Should run on any potato :wink:

This is a viewport grab from Blender 2.8, i hope this counts as realtime, which it is as far as i understand the task here.

10 Likes

As i am only allowed to put a single image into my post, because this is a new account, here is the second gif.

12 Likes

So how did you do this exactly? Each plane contains each vtx colour? This looks really nice, just can’t understand how you did it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve guess its time for a little pants down :wink:

Right is the final product with the three layers seperated on the left side.
Nodetree to the right. Rather simple. Two textures (image and the lcd tileable texture).
Then multiplyied vertexcolour.

5 Likes

Linioooooooooooooooooooooooo! Good to see you here :slight_smile: Nice work!

Hi Linolafett,

Welcome!
Looks good thank you for posting!
Is this a OpenGL Shader in Blender?

Hey Simon and Yunus, thanks for stopping by :slight_smile:
@yunus: The blender viewport is written in OGL therefore yes, this is a OGL shader, though its only exposed via node noodles to me. I am not writing the shader, i just use whats there.

I updated the thing to “boot up”. Sadly my low tech holograph is lacking in signal strenght therefore the image is flickering. On purpose :wink:

Boot up was done with a smooth gradient texture and a random noise gradient. Gradients are saved in the same texture.

We are currently at:
12 tris
3 textures (the holographic image, the LCD control texture (16x16) and the gradient texture (256x16))
2 UV channels (holo image and one for the gradients)
1 Vertex colour channel.

EDIT: Node noodles look like this for now. ATM there are many not really necessary nodes in there (split RGB), but i want to keep it usable if i later add more used channels to the gradient texture i use.

7 Likes

I see, is great ! I wish you a lot fun here! :blush:

1 Like

how easy it would be to re-creating this in the game engine? looks really nice.

1 Like

@pamar The first post i did with the simple rgb split is absolutely doable in any realtime engine which supports texture blending and vertex colours.

The turning on thing was also done via blending, therefore possible.

The distortions are the only thing, which is a little bit advanced. I think unreal and unity support this though.
My guess is, everything in here is doable in a gameengine.

Blenders viewport is just a OGL one and behaves similar to what unreal and unity can do.
I guess with a bit more poking around i could recreate this in unreal.

1 Like

Not a shader programer here but I can’t see anything in your shader that wouldn’t be possible (and fairly cheap!) to do in a game engine. And like you said, it’s an OGL shader so in theory it could be plonked into any engine that supports OGL without too much hassle.

So i registered an account just so i could ask, I am having trouble with the transparency settings and have arranged the nodes to your exact specs and even tried a few tweaks, the only way i can even get a remotely similar effect is if i render out the animation in cycles, eevee simply renders the last coloured plane i made.

Long story short, any chance of a tutorial or video?

Either way great work.

Hey Justice,

this does only work in eevee as i am using the blend mode “additive” on this geometry.
To recreate this in cycles, there is more work needed. I would need to try how this could work there.

1 Like