Kars's Sketch Book

Hi everyone! I’m starting a sketchbook for feedback and to document my workflow. I hope sharing more of my VFX will keep me motivated. Open to any feedback and discussion :slight_smile:

Portal WIP
PortalEarly

Brimstone Smoke Study/Practice
brimsmokeRTVFX

I’ll try to share more soon

10 Likes

This portal effect is so cool man, hope to see a breakdown sometime!

Thank you! The portal is originally from Zenless Zone Zero. I’ll try to find the reference.

That effect is actually just 3 particles emitters, 1 for a large black particle in the middle, and 2 on the outside radius, 1 black particle and 1 additive. I make sure to render the additive first to I get that overlay bubble look.

Here’s a newer version

PortalGif

I want to add a chromatic aberration effect and some distortion next, but I like where it’s at.

4 Likes

This is super cool! yeah the render the additive, is the thing I am most fond of, it almost feels like the bubbles from the across the spiderverse portal! Is it just the case of setting 2 particle shaders to additive and the other something else?

Yea I had the same thought when starting this effect! I’m a huge fan of Spiderverse and I might make alternate versions of the portal as I finish it up.

I’m creating this effect in Unity, so to elaborate on the shaders,
any black particles in the scene are default alpha, the pink/blue particles in the center are default additive.
The colorful particles on the outside use a simple additive shader I made in Shader Graph,

It just takes a texture I made and scrolls it for some color variety, I’m not sure if this is optimal and one downside to this is that all the particles come out the same, I’m looking into adding variation so that each particle is unique.

This is what the particle is doing under the hood:
particleGif
just barely changing the velocity and size of this particle complements the black particle nicely.

I can try to do a thorough breakdown of the effect in the near future.

2 Likes

Back with another update, was working on a chromatic aberration shader alongside some distortion to go around the edge of the portal to add some glitchyness, I’m very satisfied with the result.

I’d say I’m fairly done with this portal, the effect in ZZZ has this cool half tone dither effect, but I wasn’t gonna spend another week trying to replicate it.

I also got around to making a little set piece to show off post processing, I’ll share an artstation post for it soon

PortalC