Kaisteile: Sketch #42 Weapon Swipe

Final update:

I just swamped with some IRL stuff so this is my final iteration of this swipe as I wont have enough time to work on it anymore. I’m very happy without how it turned out though! I think I have a lot more to learn still but this was a wonderful practice and I learned a lot. Hope you guys like it too!

Hello everyone! This is my first ever weapon attack and it’s not much yet because I got distracted by doing a different attack and then realized it didn’t really count as a weapon swipe, haha.
Here is a very simple WIP video:

I’m trying to get the particles to last longer and follow the trail a bit better but I like how they’re turning out so far. I have a lot of ideas I want to try out with this too but I think this is a good start!

1 Like

WeaponSwipeWIp

Make some more progress on this recently.

I’ve added a glow around the character on the bottom and some particles around him before the swipe. I want to try and replicate Final Fantasy XIVs dark knight attacks where they swipe and leave a small trail behind after the swipe. It’s a struggle trying to figure it out but I’m enjoying the process still! You can see what I’m talking about here: https://youtu.be/M1jo_HKxT3w?t=23 till about 0:31.

I’m having a hard time syncing up the swipe correctly with the animation. I’ve adjusted it so many times in the animation notifies and I’m not sure if the material I created is working correctly either as sometimes when I’m watching the animation the material shows up halfway on the mesh I created rather than starting at the top. You can see this error in this gif and I haven’t had much luck fixing it or finding any information about it.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can fix that please let me know, I would appreciate it lot!

And of course, let me know what you think!

• LM

Update #3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QIh7D-92zA

Been working on this for a bit (mostly smashing my head against my monitor trying to get it to work right, haha). Got some things to work but I am still trying to figure out why the material for the swipe seems to start at a random place every time. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

4 Likes