Just Another "Looking for Feedback on my First Effect" Post

Hi!

A quick introduction for anyone who cares (if you don’t, feel free to jump to the next paragraph): I am a junior realtime vfx artist in training, but I have been working with 3d since I was 12, so I am no stranger to the industry. Up until a few months ago, I was doing primarily modeling work because I had felt I had to since it was what I had the most experience with (Sunk cost fallacy in a way). However, only recently have I really begun to delve into VFX, and so far, I am absolutely loving it. I found modeling work to be far too menial for my liking. VFX on the other hand is much more about making things pretty within a budget, lending to a lot of problem solving, which I like. So, here I am.

This is my first time posting onto this board, and this is also my first effect that I have made inside of a game engine. It is just a simple thruster effect to be used on the back of a jet engine or a jetpack. Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhcoobu6_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOI_HXBUpU

Thanks!

Programs used:
Houdini Indie
Unreal Engine 4
Photoshop

1 Like

I think the fire itself is pretty good but the distortion is a little in the wrong place - often the distortion is OVER the fire, at its top. That is, the distortion should not be so strong at the source of the fire.

I also advise you not to stop and I would like to see more your works :slight_smile:

Thanks! I felt like something was off with it, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I made the change, and it already looks a lot better.

The distortion in the side view feels a bit too strong in the gif, but in engine it looks fine, almost too unnoticeable. Not sure what that is about.

1 Like

Added some additional effects.

-Made the smoke fade when the camera gets too close and when viewing from the top to hide the “rotating sheet” effect.
-Added some rays that jet out to add some additional flare and break the uniformity.
-Added a start up blast effect.
-Fixed an issue where the fire would stay straight up regardless of the orientation of the emitter. (The issue haunted me for most of the time making the effect, only to figure out I forgot to rotate the sheet by 90 degrees before exporting.)

Personally, I feel like I can add something extra to the blast, but I have no idea what.

Let me know what you think! I’m all ears for suggestions and critiques!