Joyce: Sketch #18 - Hologram - WIP

Hi everyone!

Decided I was going to double dip on the madness and make this both my first sketch, and first time using Niagara…

Huge thank you to @Wataru for the initial morph tutorial, and to @steyrboy for making a video version - very much appreciated :slight_smile:

https://vimeo.com/277187505

Planning to add some more things to the warm up (godrays at the base, and change the way the inital sphere appears). Also hoping to get the mannequin moving soon.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Edit Excuse the laggy gif - I’ll add a video later showing it playing at the correct speed!

2 Likes

Thought I’d provide a long overdue update on this effect (Niagara and the holidays have been keeping me busier than expected!).

As always, feedback is really appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As per Chris’ post, here’s a bit more context for feedback :slight_smile:

I’m aiming to create a ‘hard light’ hologram, where the system creates a collection of solid vertices. Once it receives the desired image, the vertices create edges to form a wireframe model.

I wasn’t really considering a specific target platform (as I’m still learning the ropes), but I suppose PC would cover it :slight_smile:

What would I like feedback on? Specifically timing - I know this is something I need to work on.

Any thoughts on the vertex ‘cloud’ before it forms the hologram? It was really tricky getting the curl noise to dissipate in a central manner, rather than pulling to one side.

Lastly, any suggestions on how to do the godrays so they face the camera? There’s no lock axis in Niagara, and couldn’t figure out how to work around it. Also tried making a camera facing material, but that created some really odd distortions.