Jessica Sparrowhawk: Sketch #56

I have an art test in which the topic is freezing! I’ll post my stuff here too as I go along :partying_face: The idea is an effect that immobilizes a target with ice.

Here’s the final effect:

2 Likes

Ok so much for having extra time for this! I have been done with the test, but I don’t want to just post the whole test here. I’m going to put a spin on it. Here is my reference board:

The plan is to flash freeze a target - they must step into the area to trigger the explosion. They are completely immobilized and covered with icicles.

1 Like

Ok…let me see if I can wrap this one up quick! Here’s icicle shader WIP. This is more of a debug view to see if I can mask the icicles to control them a bit better.

1 Like

Overall ice shader using subsurface lighting, triplanar normals, roughness noise, and a little WPO to make it look like it packed on the character instead of being skintight ice :laughing:

1 Like

Nice! Did you pass the test?

I did not :disappointed_relieved: But they were looking for pretty much photorealistic effects, to which all my experience has been stylized. I gave it a good shot though! Not making this sketch be realistic.

1 Like

Oh unfortunate T_T Good luck with some other companies! Hope you find a lovely place for yourself

1 Like

Quick blockout. There’s an odd delay between the shockwave and the frozen state - because I plan to animate the ice. If there’s time! Also…yes there is a pop between the idle and the reaction. I don’t want to mess with animation states right now :upside_down_face:

Blockout_01

Need to tweak the timing but the ice shader is now animated:

Blockout_02

1 Like

Onto the particles. I made the textures here already for the art test, otherwise this pass would have been more placeholder-y.

Blockout_03

1 Like

Ok all done!

4 Likes

Love the way this turned out!