JAMINET Jordan : Sketch#7 WIP

Hi there,

This is my entry for the contest.

http://imgur.com/CQQEsLl

I just finished the blockout, but I have still a lot of work to do with timing and extra effect, but all the idea is here.

Of course, critics are welcomed for improvement.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Hey there,

This is my update for now :

http://imgur.com/ZQGuKVv

I add it on ue4 and take some characters and animations on mixamo.
I am still on the blockout, but my effect begin to be more and more precise on my head. You can get the spirit on where I want to go.

Still a lot to do, I want my effect to be more ‘smoky’, tweak the dissolve shader, and spawn the monster behind the knight.

As always, critics are very welcomed for improvement ! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey there,

I post a little little update, just for saying that I continue the challenge !
I’ve been very busy the past few day, but I keep in mind this effect, because I really want to finish it and to polish it as much as I can !

I tweaked some animations and some effect in order to fit more on my intentions.
I didn’t have the time to polish the smoky effect, I guess this is my next step !
Ow, and I just saw that the particles are missing during the dissolve effect, and don’t know why yet.

As always, critics are welcomed :smiley:

Hey !

Today I find the time to work on the FX, so I post you my improvement. The smoky effect and the particles are here now :smiley:

So guys, what are you thinking about it ? Do you have any suggestion / observation in order to improve it ?

I’d say pick a more neutral grey tone for the background, it’s all really dark/hard to pick out the effect much.

I’d try to add some more randomness/organic motion into your red swirls…don’t keep everything the same width.

It’s got a nice punch at the end, perhaps build up a glow when the energy transfers to keep the eye there.

1 Like

Hey Doggett,

thank you for your feedback :smiley:

Indeed, my biggest work is to continue on the organic feeling ! Thank you for the draw, it will help me a lot !

Btw, I didn’t understand the moment you mention by ‘at the end’ : is it about when the knight is throw down, or when the creature show up ? Anyway, thanks for the tips, I guess I will work on the eye interest on my Fx !

Looking again there’s 2 spots where the VFX dissapear and reappear out of nowhere.

Try and have some more continuity between the stages there.

Hey, it’s me again !

I assume that it’s nearly the end of the month, so I will take the time to finish with this !

This is where I am for now :

For me, it’s almost finish. I want to tweak more about Color or Timing may be, but as always, if you have comments in order to improve it, it’s always welcomed and help me a lot !

Hope you like it either ! :smiley:

2 Likes

HEY there !

This is my final entry for this challenge ! :smiley:

Nothing much has change, just the timing, a little bit, but I also change the smoke texture for something more “smoky” :smiley:

The cool thing is, that the effect is game ready, and run in realtime on UE4 !

I really enjoyed working on this challenge, learned a lot and it’s always cool to practise on something unusual !

What I could change for the future :

• May be work more with reference, in term of shape and timing. I guess my Fx need more impact and catching phases.
  • Improve the relation shader / vfx and working on something more smooth and efficient between them !
  • Think more in the beginning of the production, about how my effect will render at the end !

I guess I will do this effect in other ways on the future, cause I learned a lot since the begining, and working with animation is cool too :smiley:

Hope you like it, and see you for the next challenge :smiley:

1 Like