Is Amplify Shader Editor Worth It in 2022?

Hello question is in the title. Am thinking about switching over from shader graph to Amplify Shader Editor. Currently working on a 2D game in URP with 2D lights. Does Ampilfy work well with 2D out of the box? Or is shader graph better for 2D?

It probably depends on how complex your shaders are going to be. What kind of 2D game are you thinking? Are you currently running into limits with shader graph?

It doesn’t sound like you are going to need it. Start with Shader Graph, learn it well, it is totally worth it. In the extreme case you will need something that is not part of SG, it is perfectly fine to pick up Amplify later.

I hate to Necro a thread but this seems to be one of the first results that pops up :sweat_smile:

I invite you all to join our vibrant Discord community and see for yourself why ASE continues to be the go to for shader development in Unity with responsive supports and regular updates: Discord Invite Amplify Technology

@Reetro Funny you’d ask about that specifically. We’ve been in an interesting spot in the past where we fixed issues regarding Light use in 2D URP on our own shaders before Unity rolled out their own. It just goes to show that by being fully independent and community driven we’re able to respond faster and to what our users need. Feature wise, there’s parity afaik; I’m super biased of course, but I still think our editor offers a better user experience.

I recommend you decide for yourself, you can always refund :heart:

We usually avoid direct comparisons to other tools but, when you license ASE, you’re not just getting a shader editor. You’re buying into an open ecosystem that any developer can take advantage of to create their own content. Unlike Shader Graph which locked out the ability of extending it via templates - you can create both built-in shaders and SRP shaders with Amplify Shader Editor, and we will never deprecate our API or Template system.

We facilitate this by providing:
-Full source
-An API for custom node development.
-A Template System for custom shader types.
-Easily redistributable/reusable Shader Functions.
-Community samples/contributions.
-Direct communication with the ASE developers.
-Collaborative efforts to ensure 3rd-party compatibility.

ASE provides a stable pillar to expand our product offering or feature set; as it does to any other developer that uses it. We already launched our first tool, Amplify Impostors, thanks to ASE and we have other major content creation related assets in development.

In more practical terms:
-Dedicated and responsive support personel via the Unity forums and email(support@amplify.pt).
-Direct link to our team via Discord.
-UI/UX is more inline with what you would expect from other editors such as the Unreal Material editor; less steps to create content, common standards.
-Full source-code
-Custom Node API
-Shader Templates
-Shader Functions
-Multi-window Support
-Intuitive, familiar node interface
-Extensive node library
-User Contributed Nodes and Shaders
-Growing sample collection (100+)
-Additional shader types
-Learning Resources

There’s also over 100 ASE Friendly packages made by our users that you can take advantage of: https://assetstore.unity.com/lists/list-121004