Ironeyes :: VFX Sketchbook

Hi there, I’m a 2D illustrator interested in learning VFX. I started working on a Unity game for fun and I’m exploring the world of effects. So far it’s very basic techniques as I have only a surface level understanding of 3D and very little experience in game dev.

I discovered ShannonBerke’s thread here on the forum and had to try following some tips.

First result: silver glittery sand. Later I’ve figured out how to make the bigger particles actually twinkle.

sand gif

Video: https://youtu.be/bJJAjowLZjY?si=0lps85dYIxVQ5wBW

10 Likes

Also tried recreating portal from Witchfire.
It’s mostly UV distortions of various circles stacked on top of each other and a tile-able backdrop that’s locked to screen view.

2024-09-1111-56-09-ezgif.com-optimize

Original reference:

4 Likes

Figured out radial textures!

For the longest time I couldn’t understand how to scroll a texture from/towards the centre. I get the idea with using UV topology of a round mesh, but not the shader option with texture only.

Turns out it is stupid simple. But so am I, so no wonder. It’s just panning after Polar Coords and before the texture UV…

2024-09-1713-31-07-ezgif.com-optimize

3 Likes

First trails!

2024-10-0114-46-52-ezgif.com-optimize

1 Like

big fan of this circle, like a notification or halo
2024-10-0312-06-04-ezgif.com-optimize

1 Like

I have made a similar effect for my senior project game. It is really good learning experience and practice. Nice Work.

1 Like