Hugo - Sketchbook

Thumbnail :

Hey guys, just wanted to share this vfx with you, never participated on this forum before but I’m trying to force myself to put stuff out there and to be more proactive.
Not satisfied about this Vfx but I put way too much effort on that to just throw it away, feedbacks appreciated of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a long effect so will be hard for me to cover everything, but will do my best to point out things that might help.

1. The crack at the beginning has 2 stages and second one should look like it’s an extension of the first, but it has a different rotation and a bit different shape. Try to make second crack the same, but with painted additional cracks and spawn it with the same rotation so it overlaps it.
  2. The particles that appear with the crack are not really matching the behaviour. Cracks are usually happening when there is some kind of impact so it should be more indicated with something stronger, like flying rocks from the missing ground (it had to be somewhere anyway) and maybe those lights are fine too, but give them more power, let them fly in different directions with more chaos and maybe add some gravity to it.
  3. That object flying in the air looks too static, I like that you stretched it during the flight, but after it’s in the air then my attention is going into the ground as that’s where the lightning thingy is happening and I suppose you want your attention on that crystal. Maybe add that lightning to the crystal instead, or some flying particles around it. Same with some trail while it’s going up.
  4. Same with transition between idle and explosion. You are gathering our eyes to the ground, which has nothing in common with the crystal exploding. Play with flashes on the crystal adding some effects to it, rather than to the ground.
  5. And last thing for now is that the smoke at the end is not disappearing quickly enough.

I think you could also work a bit on color of the smoke, adding more variarion of saturation to it or hue might help a bit to make it more realistic.

Apart from that that’s a great beginning on the forum! Hope that this feedback helps a bit.

3 Likes

Hey Manus, thanks a lot for the feedbacks, a lot of interesting thoughts, I’ll try to implement them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, didn’t had a lot of time recently but I made some retake on this effect, I think I’ll eave it as it is for the moment,

Hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Woah! Already feels much better!

2 Likes

Hey guys,
Another quick sketch, I wanted to make a Lava vfx but without diving into Fluidsim so I relied on meshes and shaders for this one.

Hope you enjoy :grin:

6 Likes

Awesome! How did you do it? Scaling meshes on impact?

1 Like

Thanks ! Yes absolutely, my mesh look like this :

and i’m basicaly playing with the scale through the particles age

1 Like

Interesting :smiley: thanks

1 Like

Hey guys, hope you’re doing good,
A quick sketch I made yesterday to train a bit
Feedbacks are more than welcome :grin:

2 Likes

Hey! Colors are awesome and I like that kind of a neon vibe!
First think that I think would add a lot is emissive. Maybe add some glow to the colors you have so they are shiny (it should give a unique look already). Apart from that it would be great to add some kind of transparent/additive glows behind the effects that would help with blending between shapes.
I would probably start with those :smiley:

1 Like

Hey @Manus,
Thanks again for the feedbacks, I tried to apply your advices :smile:

3 Likes

Feels a bit better now!
Do you mind descibring me what’s the over point of this VFX? (like what it represents?)
Then I will try to follow up with some next advices.

1 Like

Hey @Manus sorry to reply this late, what I wanted was especially to train on timing and look/feel on vfx, so I don’t really have an idea of what it is except like a Boom and Blast sort of thing :sweat_smile:

Ah I see. Though even if you want to practice timing and look/feel of VFX it’s very important to have a clear vision of what it represents. If you don’t know what your VFX is then you can’t really tell what a proper timing or feel is. Then you can also try to find some references that could give you an idea on that.

1 Like