Houdini Question: How to leverage unreal vertex paint within houdini asset?

Hey everyone! I have been devoting myself to learning Houdini recently and I am coming up short trying to implement what I feel like is a simple thing. I am sure I am missing something along the way and was hoping someone here might be able to help me understand the proper workflow for what I am wanting to do.

What I want to do is leverage Unreal painting tools to paint vertex color on a mesh that will then take the painted color and run various operations on it within the houdini asset. I can figure out how to do what I want by using the houdini paint node, but haven’t been able to figure out how to replace that with painting the asset within unreal.

For example, here is a screenshot of a basic setup where I paint a mask in houdini and then remove points based on that mask. Contents of the wrangles are in the top right and bottom left of the image. What I am looking for is to remove the mask painting from houdini and instead set up an asset where I can then paint the mask inside of unreal instead using their painting tools and still remove the proper points based off of it.

I have tried a few different things but to no avail. Every time I try and paint an asset with Unreal’s painting tools, it doesn’t seem to have an effect on the asset other than showing me the color. When I am painting in Unreal I am painting in vertex color, but can’t figure out how I can get the houdini asset to recognize this, keep this vertex color, and run the operations I want on it (such as removing the points in the example). For instance, if I got rid of the attribute paint and point wrangle in my example and just removed points if Cd.r is greater than 0.5, when I bring that into unreal and paint on the mesh it does not remove and of the geo. Do I need to convert Cd to vertex color or something along those lines?

If anyone has any pointers on how I can accomplish this I would much appreciate it! Let me know if I can further explain anything as well!