We are Grinding Gear Games, creators of the award-winning dark fantasy Action RPG Path of Exile. We’re a diverse and inclusive studio of more than 175 world-class developers based in Auckland, New Zealand and we’re currently expanding the Path of Exile 2 development team.
2013 Winner - GameSpot’s PC Game of the Year
2020 Winner - British Academy Award (BAFTA) for Evolving Game
We seek experienced VFX artists to create evocative visual effects in the dark and gritty game Path of Exile. You will develop real-time effects from concept to implementation and work to maintain a consistent aesthetic across all of the effects in the game. The ideal candidate has a firm grasp of colour, texture, timing and impact as relates to VFX and demonstrates an ability to sketch and storyboard to convey design ideas.
Location: On-site in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand
*Relocation assistance (for the right candidate if needed)
Full-time position - 40 hours a week
The position includes the following duties:
- Conceptualise visual effects to be implemented in Path of Exile
- Implement visual effects into Path of Exile
- Create real-time game effects using various software
- Maintain a consistent aesthetic across visual effects and other art assets
- Receive and provide objective feedback; taking into consideration lighting, value, colour, texture, timing, impact and aesthetic
- Work to strict deadlines and schedules
We are seeking someone with:
- Experience creating VFX for games
- Experience creating real-time game effects in a wide range of software
- A superior eye for lighting, value, colour, details, and the ability to use them in creating efficient and impactful visual effects
- Self-motivation, excellent communications skills, and able to work within a team
- A positive attitude and able to receive and provide objective feedback
- Passion for creating dark and gritty spells and microtransactions
Portfolio, and/or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required.
Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so.
- Experience creating VFX in Houdini
- Avid gamer with a deep understanding of Path of Exile and its themes
How to Apply:
If you meet the requirements in your relevant job description, send us an email with a cover letter and your CV including link/s to your portfolio/reel (whichever is relevant to the role you are applying for).
Email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with your name + position you are applying for in the subject line.
No phone calls or agencies, please.
About Grinding Gear Games:
Grinding Gear Games is the developer and publisher of Path of Exile, the award-winning dark fantasy online Action RPG. Founded and headquartered in Auckland, New Zealand, the company was established in 2006 and released Path of Exile in 2013, winning GameSpot’s PC Game of the Year Award that year. Since then, we have continued to evolve Path of Exile with over 30 expansions, eventually winning the 2020 BAFTA award for Best Evolving Game.
At the ExileCon convention in 2019, we announced Path of Exile 2, a AAA sequel to Path of Exile. Alongside continued expansion to the original game, Path of Exile 2 is in full production and we’re looking for world-class artists, animators and programmers to help us create it. If this sounds like you, come be part of our story and join us at Grinding Gear Games!
What we offer:
Our work hours are flexible, with core hours from 11.00am to 3.30pm.
We have a huge selection of free drinks for all the staff to enjoy while working. Think of a convenience store’s range of drinks a few metres from your desk! Our rec rooms are stocked up daily with healthy snacks and a rotating range of seasonal fresh fruit and yoghurt, and catered meals are offered every week as part of our Monday mid-morning meetings.
When the work is done, we invite all staff to attend our expansion launch parties and Christmas parties to celebrate the effort they’ve put towards Path of Exile.