Geckoh2o: Sketch # 36

Preview Update video:

WorkFlow:

Well, this is fantastic. I was already planning to redo an old effect of mine.

So for this sketch, I’m going to almost completely rework this fire-based AOE attack I made from
Gabriel Aguiar Prod’s Udemy course a lil while back (fantastic course btw). Timing-wise, this effect is not too bad, but I definitely feel that I can improve some areas. Mainly I want to facilitate that the effect is indeed fire-based other than the color. As it stands right now the effect could be almost any element just by changing the color. I also just want to make it a little more clear as to where the effect is dealing damage.

Road map:
Improve visual clarity.
Change characteristics.

First step taken: Replacing the trail/ribbon with a temporary scrolling material.

4 Likes

Small update before the bigger changes

I decided to do away with the shader scrolling in a circle. I couldn’t get it to look as organic as I wanted. So this is what I ended up with. I may still make some changes to it specifically with the timing.

5 Likes

Quite the departure from the original. (Update 2)

I decided to toil with texture layering and noise I generated from World Machine. The idea to use noise from World Machine is credited to @jqarlsson 's post (Make Noise Textures with World Machine - #16 by jqarlsson) really awesome post for anyone interested. I messed with this anticipation effect for awhile. I wanted to keep the cylinder mesh from the original. So, I just ended up stretching it into a beam because I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do with it. I also increased the anticipation time by 0.5.

Now onto the explosion!

2 Likes

Meant to upload this awhile back. Well better late than never!

Nothing too fancy when it comes to developing the shader for the ball of fire. I used a similar technique where I used a voronoi pattern generated from World Machine. This was just like the anticipation effect, but this time I added a radial shear to give it some distortion. The rest is just fading the alpha with Vertex streams.

After that I added a sphere shaped distortion wave, camera shake, and made lots of edits to the timing. The timing is something I definitely struggled with, but the guys over on the Discord pointed me in the right direction! The last little touch was my first attempt at a hand drawn flipbook animation in the form of a flame.

Final + comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xKHpszsgA

5 Likes