Foozle's Sketchbook (and introduction)

Hey everybody, just wanted to introduce myself, I’m Michael, you sometimes can find me on the web under the name juicefoozle. I’m an UI Designer (non games) and Illustrator, and a game design hobbyist for almost a decade with never finishing anything. I’m 36 years old, proud dad of a 2 years old boy and have a dog that is totally nuts and I live in Berlin.

Why I’m here?
Because I love to experiment with Unity and Amplify Shader Editor and want to dig deeper into the real-time vfx field and have the feeling that this place is a great room for learning and exchange.

A Grass shader I made using amplfy SE
grass4_small

and if you are curious, or are using ASE as well, i got the graph here, along with a collection of other graphs i found on twitter:
https://twitter.com/i/moments/974032991013036033

I also made an unity editor script a while ago to create radial animations, which was mainly just iterating through an array and creating tweens for each added point with custom easing. it’s a bit complicated to describe, but you could make tons of these in a couple of minutes:
FXBPreview_003
FXBPreview_002
CFXpreviewPyramid%20(1)

I still have to figure out the best way to get my gifs up here, as all my others seem to be too big.
But actually I am not here to show the old stuff, I want to create something new, and to motivate myself a bit, I started this here, and of course to say hello…so…
Hi everybody.

Cheers,
Michael

33 Likes

Welcome Micheal, These are some pretty cool examples you have of your work with amplify. I primarily work in Unreal but have been hearing a lot of good things about Amplify for Unity. I’ll admit seeing your memorizing laser light show gifs at the bottom of your post is tempting me to take a look haha.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Michael! We look forward to seeing more of your work here!

1 Like

Welcome! Those radial animations are really cool!

For larger giphs you can try uploading to a 3rd party site like Imgur or Giphy, and directly paste the link in your post to emded.

1 Like

I just happen to learn ASE in Unity, and then I saw your post. Today it was a good day.

1 Like

Glad to hear that.
The examples ASE comes with have been an excellent starting point for me, but the ones in the twitter collection (moment) put some things just one step further.
The melting shader even found its way into the community examples that come with the ASE unity package, just mentioning it, just in case you wanted to recreate that graph.

@Everybody: Thanks for the very kind welcome. Right after I posted this here I got booked (unrelated to this thread :wink: , I’m a freelancer) so that’s why i went directly silent again, but I should continue my explorations by end of next week

until then, here is a quick stylized campfire i did recently only using particle trails and experimenting with the new particle system force fields (currently only available in the unity 2018.3 beta)

campfire

cheers, and I hope I’ll return soon with some new and more exciting work :wink:
Have a nice day,
Michael

2 Likes

hey there, long time no see.
somehow opening my huge spaghetti code messes in unity started to overwhelm me, in a negative way.
So i dialed back, a lot of steps, and started working on a bitsy game, there is not much you can do with effects there. But it was fun, and it was limiting enough that i was able to finish a complete short story game within a couple of days.

After that, I still haven’t felt ready to dive back into the limitless choices unity or unreal gives you. especially unlimited choices to f up, when it comes to me.

so, the next logical step for me, after bitsy was getting into pico-8, which i really adore so far.
also, it makes me miss real oop and c#, so it might be the right gateway drug to get back on to the unity train.

I don’t know if any of this is of interest for you, cause it is so unrelated to vfx, but i somehow assume that, at least some beginners, can relate to the feeling of drowning in possibilities those big engines give you.

so, yeah, last but not least, here’s a short sprite effect i’ve just finished for my pico-8 game i am currently making for my son:
tueta_2

also, i want to wish y’all some happy holidays and a “guten rutsch” how we say in germany, just in case we won’t hear from each other in the meantime. what is probably happening, as from tomorrow on, family time is starting.

2 Likes

long time no see.
I’m still figuring things out a lot (and a lot of things unfortunately have priority over my vfx journey).

never the less, I tried drawing a bursting bubble effect this morning.
I like the result, but I’m aware I didn’t nail the effect, so, feedback is much appreciated.

thanks and have a great day,
Michael

4 Likes

hmmm, never mind, I guess I’m not going to change the “HAPPY” drawing anymore.
Thanks for the likes tho. Of course feedback would still be interesting.

In other related news, i made my realtime VFX twitter bookmarks (using a twitter moment) public today,
so if you’re looking for some inspiration or tuts on twitter, you might want to look into it:

Hey there, I’m still not really back at properly learning shaders and vfx :frowning_face:
I wish I could just double myself. In the meantime I continued my work on my youtube channel, but that’s more art and illustration related, and started a patreon. I’m not linking those, cause they have nothing to do with vfx (yet), but yeah, mentioning it, because it takes most of my free time I would otherwise take for learning and doing development.
I don’t know yet what, but something needs to change anyway, the growth (of income via patreon and youtube) is too slow, and the invest (of time and money) is too big, to keep the pace up for the 12+ months it MIGHT need to get sustainable. Of course without any guarantee.

ANYWAYS, why I’m here, I made a frame by frame animation, with a lot of quick’n’dirty hand drawn fx you might like.

have a great day,
:purple_heart:
Michael

2 Likes

That animation made me chuckle, wasn’t expecting that ending :smiley:

I know how you feel with regards to needing two of yourself. I have 2 year old and between work and family time, what little is left is usually not enough to get into any vfx. I have things I’d like to do but no desire to sit down in front of a pc again after doing it all day…

Haven’t really got any advice, all I can say it’s ok to not want to do art/vfx/computer stuff if you don’t feel like it. Guilting yourself over not doing it is a good way to start a downward spiral. Be kind to yourself.

Yeah, mine is 3, so I exacty know what you|re talking about.
thank you.

1 Like