First Projectile Unity - Feedback appreciated :)

Hello!

Made my first projectile. Would be grateful for advice\feedback!!!
I realized that I don’t understand when to stop trying to make it better and say “ok, it’s good enough for what it is” :frowning: Does anyone else has this feeling?

Link to the projectile:

First Projectile

Also don’t understand how to embed video right to the post body :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think this all looks good. If I have a critique, it’s that the amount of charge-up makes the impact fx feel like a bit of an anticlimax. When you are rapid-firing the projectiles, they feel fine, but when there’s a detailed charge-up, I want a pay-off that releases all the energy that I saw the projectile build up! If this is supposed to be a relatively low-damage move, I’d make the charge fx faster and smaller; if it’s supposed to be a high-impact move, I’d make the projectile explosion bigger and slower. The effects for Sephiroth’s Flare in Smash Bros is where I’d look to see a relationship between charge-time and projectile explosion size. https://youtu.be/mfwUsMc-Ls4?t=514

Hi @NastassiaZ, I really like your effect! and as @ryangatts says, the amount of charge at the beginning implies you are going to release a lot of energy, but instead, the player is throwing a few low powered projectiles. One way you could solve this (if you want to keep the charging as it is) is to envolve the character with an energy aura that vanishes as you are firing projectiles — this way the player knows that he/she has to gather energy to attack and also that that energy is limited.

Regarding the feeling of ‘not knowing when to stop’, that’s a constant for artists (and this is my personal opinion) it is because we want to make the awesomest piece ever and not just a boring functional one hehehe, or could be that we are afraid of not being good enough to release work that doesn’t meet our high standards… anyways, those are all just irrational thoughts Natassia. Keep on the good work! :slightly_smiling_face: