EStampes: Sketch #15 WIP

This is insane! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Holy crap that fire and smoke. Hoooooly moley. Talk about blown away, pun intended.

1 Like

It looks great, but please reduce the rotation variation on the smoke! Smoke doesnā€™t roll downwards. At least not if itā€™s been kicked out from a single point on the ground like that.

1 Like

Wow sweet ! remind me smoke in Skull and Bones VFX tech

2 Likes

Hey, got a question as I got around to render smoke with lightmaps and itā€™s all working but it only reacts to atmosphere / fog sun light which only has directional lightning. But I see you somehow managed to make it interact with point light. So here is my question, how did you managed to do it?

Was this all in UE4 or did you use FumeFX for fluid sims?

Iā€™ll see to it!

So this is not a ā€œrealā€ point light, only shader trickery. What I did was basically to repeat the part of the shader with the If-nodes like the one in the image a few posts up, adding it in. Instead of using the Atmospheric Light-node I used a Material Parameter Collection to feed in the location of the point. Subtract it with the Absolute World Position of the pixel to get the vector. Then you need to simulate the light attenuation, so I used Unitys:
1.0 / (1.0 + lengthSq * lightAttenSq)
Just multiply it in. Hopefully thatā€™s somewhat understandable, Iā€™m out of town currently so I canā€™t show the shader right now.

I used Houdini for sim and compositing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hereā€™s another version. Again, not alot of changes but I did however change the emission texture. Trying to go for the look of the fire travelling inside the smoke.

Think Iā€™m gonna call it for this one, being the last day and all! Feedback is of course appreciated. Thanks a lot for all the techniques, comments and critique on this sketch from everone, I learned alot!

18 Likes